"The Garage" on "Quest" Channel

I've just watched an episode of this fly on the wall programme. What a load of cowboys!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It is a made up 'entertainment' show. Watch it, expecting rubbish, and you'll be happy.

Ever watched 'Storage Hunters"? Saw a few of those, and the 2 blokes make good money out of what they buy, - why do people leave such good stuff in a lock-up? Then you see another series, and it's a bloke and woman rather than the

2 blokes They buy the exact same stuff, and sell it to the exact same dealers afterwards. So clearly,someone has been round buying stuff from secondhand dealers, putting it in store, failing to pay the rent, then this lucky couple come along and get the lot at a bargain price, and, amazingly, the TV cameras are there again.

Or, it is all made up.

Reply to
A.Lee

TV cameras? Made up.

Reply to
Huge

I like 'Reality TV' - it's fantastic!

Reply to
PeterC

These should really be called re enactment tv. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that what happened did in fact happen to someone somewhere but with reshoots and all that its all a bit folse to the ears. Its one step back from a colgate advert way of working.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you took the programme at face value, the two blokes say themselves that only around 1 in 10 storage units they buy makes any worthwhile money and then when they do make money it's only be single figure k$. Also factor in the thousands of miles they seem to travel.

They make their money be appearing as celebrates on a TV programme rather than from what they are doing on the programme.

It much the same as the UK antique programmes which show that it's very hard to buy anything from the "trade" that can make a profit in an auction. Even worse is the programme makers completely ignoring auction charges and falsely declaring profits being made.

It also shows that the valuations the "experts" put on items on the BBCs flagship antiques programme are complete b******s. These same experts are shown not to know the value of most things when they appear on other day time TV.

Reply to
alan

That's because it's the wrong way round. The correct business model is to buy at auction and sell retail.

Reply to
Huge

On 30 Nov 2012, you wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The episode I saw had them repairing an old Mini. It wouldn't start so they ordered a new distributor (they had already fitted a new coil). Guess what

- it still didn't start!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I think you also need to factor in that it is not real. They are actors. The fat one appears on a zoo programme too.

Reply to
A.Lee

I watched it with sub-titles because I couldn't understand what they were saying. Is it just me or are the sub-titles on Freeview several minutes behind the pictures?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I think on some programmes they use some sort of real-time subtitles, wheth= er it is a person or a computer I'm not sure. If you watch the news, there = are some real howlers that suggest it is done on an a phonetic basis. I was= sitting watching this whilst waiting for new tyres to be fitted (to my car= ). Sometimes the subtitles were still for the previous report ! I'm not sur= e what happens at the end of the programme. However, if the programme was made with subtitles available as part of the = production process, these will be in time with the pictures. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , sm_jamieson writes

The best uncorrected one I have seen recently was on a cookery program, "Come dine with me," where they stated that they were cooking "crap" I think that from the images shown that it should have been "crab", but who knows? Maybe they were correct.

Reply to
Bill

Or to buy at auction and sell at another auction in another town. You need to know what sells where

Reply to
stuart noble

it is a person or a computer I'm not sure. If you watch the news, there are some real howlers that suggest it is done on an a phonetic basis. I was sitting watching this whilst waiting for new tyres to be fitted (to my car). Sometimes the subtitles were still for the previous report ! I'm not sure what happens at the end of the programme.

production process, these will be in time with the pictures.

I'm familiar with what you're saying. These are definitely post-production sub-titles which have got a long way out of sync.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I thought the storage company had paid for the series to persuade gullible Americans to pay good money for dank sheds full of abandoned tat that the 'winner' will then have to pay to dump.

They had one 'character' explaining his bidding strategy of bidding on lockers he didn't want so that his competitors would have to pay more. Utter nonsense.

Reply to
Onetap

Quite possibly they died and no one knew that they rented a locker, or as in at least one case on the show, it was rented by criminals to use as an office.

Undoubtedly!! :-)

I've used this tactic at a number of auctions, it takes a bit of time to get to know peoples reactions and tell tail signs of their intentions, but once figured out it can be a useful method of getting them to spend out before the end of the auction. Only useful of course if the lots that you want are near to the end!

Failing that the tactic of putting in a higher than requested bid can stop a few people in their tracks, mainly it is down to bull s*1t and luck though.

First rule of bidding, do not show emotion. Second rule, stick to the first rule, no matter how much you want something.

Reply to
Bill

I find it strange the garage name is "English Mechanics" and it's owned by a Scot ... obvioulsy quite happy to sell his heritage.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I find it a bit odd you're replying to a 4 month old thread

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Only showed up for me today,