The future of the world?

"After the MIll was reduced the ground floor became the Nayland Light and Power Station which was closed in 1938. An electricity generator was powered by water running through the old Mill. In 1924 twenty electric lamps were lit around the village for £20 per lamp per annum."

Gotta lurve this 'distributed diversified renewable energy' : expensive crap then, expensive crap now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£10k pa for 20 lights - what kind of bargain is that?
Reply to
Eric

that's 'free' energy mate, that's wot that is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No its somebody who presumably doesn't know the meaning of "per annum".

And so confused 10K pa with the actual cost which was 400 pa. -

20 lamps at 20 each.

Which presumably included infrastructure installation and maintaince.

Which is considerably less that a Llangynog Powys resident paid the Council to have lights switched on over winter in his village

" Mike Atherton paid just under 300 for 16 street lights - about 18.44 per light for 'December, January, February and March. That works out at about 4.61 per month or 15p a night.

So that at 4.61 per month each of the Powys lights cost 54 per year, as against 20 per year for the Natylan lights.

Two and a half times as much.

Your point being ?

michael adams

michael adams

my point being that 20 lamps is the sum total of what the Stour river could light up.

And the £20 was a reflection of taking already existent infrastructure (a cut, a weir and a mill) and merely adding a water turbine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He has no point.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Really ? This installation was made by the village grocer, and you're happy to trust his judgement on this one are you ?

Although the story revolves around a village having its own street lamps the title "Nayland Electric Light and Power Company" does suggest that maybe it was powering rather more than just steet lights. The wireless set in the pub maybe, and the odd electric fire here or there.

Plus digging trenches and installing wires to the lamps.

According to this - the actual cost at the time was 2 per lamp per annum for 9 months

" The switch over to electricity came about in 1924 through Nayland's own entrepreneur, Mr William Hindes, a village grocer and former owner of the gas works. He saw the power of the water running through the old mill and established the Nayland Electric Light and Power Company. He agreed to light the 20 street lamps which Nayland had that time for 2 per lamp per annum, from one hour after sunset until 10.30 during 8 months of the year,

The 20 figure being the present day equivalent. Or at least when the web page was compiled.

While the Llangynog Powys cost is from 2008, since which prices have risen.

michael adams

michael adams

guess why the mill insn't generating any electricity any more then.

Because it was so cheap and successful?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£2 each per annum, according to another source.

Given the restricted period, the era and the exemption for moonlit evenings, I think £2 pa sounds more probable.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The local grocer who also supplied a small amount of electricity to residents' homes sold out to the East Anglian Electric Light Company in 1938.

Doubtless as a result of the latter flooding the village with propaganda about how modern and up to date they were, with pictures of their power station belching smoke.

And quite possibly as a result, the villagers been paying through the nose for their leccy ever since.

michael adams

local electricity for local people

Reply to
michael adams

Arithmetic not your strong point then?

Reply to
harry

ptu$rr5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Today lots of these old mills are being refurbished out for electricity generation.

You can get a FIT payment for it. I'm sure TurNiP will be pleased to hear. Here's one I visited a year ago.

harry

History not yours ?

Equivalent to 1920's £'s

Reply to
Eric

Back then you had the option to pay or not. Now all the shitty renewables and their subsidies get forced on Joe Public whether they want it or not.

I'd like to choose my own mix of Nuclear / Coal / Gas / Fast Hydro

I couldn't give a shit about 'Global Warming' CO2/SO2/NOx emissions or the EU.

I want all the power generation to be UK owned and run for the benefit of the UK public, not some Kraut, Frog, Yank, Jap, Arab or Chinky.

I don't want to subsidise any wind or solar PV parasites. I want their obtrusive ugly installations to be removed and the land returned back to farming use.

I want every bill I receive to have a regularly updated list of greenpeace and FoE supporters burnt at the stake for crimes against humanity. Such a policy should form an essential part of the corporate responsibility statement of every energy company.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You are living in cloud cuckoo land. It's not possible to carry on as we are. I agree that power supply should be British owned. And water, gas, railways, airports and harbours..

Reply to
harry

I quite agree. We need a lot more nuclear power.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Won't happen.

We need some but dare not take the risk of technical/commercial failure.

Reply to
harry

In message , harry writes

You are quite right we cannot carry on as we are - because all this renewables crap will not provide us with a sustained power source and we cannot go on burning fossil fuels at the current or expanded rate. The only option is nuclear - and once you go nuclear there is no point in bothering with renewables because of the way nuclear power stations function. Once you've built it you might as well run it flat out.

Unless of course you are prepared to accept power cuts when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine.

Reply to
bert

They are not the only renewables. And there are technical solutions.

Reply to
harry

No harry, there are not technical solutions. There are hugely expensive environmentally destructive totally impractical *theoretical* solutions

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher