The future of DIY

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No you didn't, you said

"It was said you would be better off eating the box and its probably true. "

Pennis - bender of the truth

Reply to
geoff

Abso-bloody-lutely. I've been playing silly buggers with CityLink all last week, during which I was actually at home all but Monday. According to the website my parcel has been on and off the van several times, but never actually made it to my house until today. When of course I was back at work. Since they've now tried twice (Monday they dropped off one of the two packages in the consignment with a neighbour) I have to get myself over to Fareham to pick it up.

I can only pray that in a few years this sort of thing will be history. I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be one.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

And I am perfectly sire it makes the very best habitat, where sprays cant get, for fleass and ticks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem from the other side, is that you ship out a hundred quids worth of gear, unsigned for, and the pikey thieving bastard at the other end claims it never arrived.

We always allow alternative delivery addresses for people to receive stuff at work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Careful! You'll attract the attention of i*on j*stice. The notorious usenet poster obsessed with the health issues of i*on o*verload. The one who makes other posters avoid typing out the i*on word in full lest it attract his attention.

(Not to say that i*on j*stice might not have a point, at least sometimes. And don't forget haemochomatosis.)

Reply to
Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Ah, that was *your* friend, was it? The story has assumed mythical status these days, and I recall it coming to my attention in the mid-70s.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

'Bout 30 years ago the peanuts/ pineapple one was discovered. Probably been discredited by now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:05:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wibbled:

Wouldn't have thought so, any more than glasswool. Fleas and ticks hang around in sheeps wool because there's a big juicy lump of meat coursing with blood underneath.

That (hopefully) not being true of a typical roof, what would they be doing there?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Special k is, at least in part, whole wheat and is only 94p a box in asda. I happen to like it if I don't have time to microwave some porridge. BTW porridge has about the same nutritional values as cornflakes but without the vitamins so i suppose some would claim its worse for you.

Reply to
dennis

I listed the differences and said the box was probably better for you than the original cornflakes.

I don't see many people that would starve to death if you deprived them of their cornflakes. I am also fairly certain that the basic grains could make better foods for those that actually need the food.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry geoff I obviously meant how bad it was when I said better off. I understand how easy it is for you to confuse better off with how bad it is rather than goodness.

Reply to
dennis

As a diabetic I take a lot of interest in the carbohydrate and sugar content of foods. Up until about 10-12 years ago I used to buy Special K because it was low in added sugars. Total sugar was only

5.5%.

Since then, Kelloggs have steadily increased the amount of added sugar. I stopped buying it when total sugars reached 8.5%. I was shocked to see that the total sugar is now 17%!!! The whole of that difference is added sucrose.

So much for Special K being a healthy cereal!

If you buy Special K in other European countries, it has a much lower sugar content than the UK version. Even the US version - in a country where highly sugared breakfast cereals are the norm - has only 13% total sugars.

Corn Flakes have only 8% total sugar. Unfortunately maize, as used in Corn Flakes, has a higher glycaemic index than the rice and wheat used in Special K, so it isn't especially well suited to diabetics either.

Reply to
Bruce

One solution is to use Collect+.

Collect+ is a parcel delivery service run by Home Delivery Network who deliver for a wide range of mail order companies. The difference is that Collect+ collects and delivers parcels from/to local retailers rather than your home.

The retailers are members of the PayPoint network and are usually local convenience stores that open early and late. You can choose to receive either an SMS text message to your phone or an email when the item is ready for collection. You then collect the parcel at a time to suit you.

Prices are very reasonable, with a flat rate of £4.49 for up to 10 kg. However, there is currently no service for heavier items.

Bruce

Maplin's links are returned in the main results list of google, not only in the sponsored section.

I'll be querying on their site for "newel post cap" for the next few days, let's see what happens.

Reply to
Adrian C

Oops :-) I'm type 1, and happily eat them occasionally. However I alter insulin doses to suit. Ditto with all the other things diabetics aren't allowed to eat...

Reply to
Clive George

If you'd actually listed the differences, you might have a point. But you didn't, which means you're just lying.

Question is, why? All you're doing is making yourself look stupid. Stick to the truth.

Reply to
Clive George

Of course. I'm Type 2, so my approach has to be very different.

Reply to
Bruce

Quite a few years ago SWMBO answered to door to a local CID constable. He wanted to know if she ever ordered from the catalogues like John Moores, Grattons etc.

Apparently there was a gang following the delivery van & whenever a parcel was left in the porch or on the doorstep they would nick it. Highly organised racket from the sound of it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You are geoff AICMFP.

Reply to
dennis

Are you Drivels dad?

He talks as much oblox as you, and stuff like that runs in the family..

Reply to
Neil