The future of DIY

I wouldn't buy skirting from B&Q, price and quality aside, it isn't long enough to have a single length in an average room. I don't want joins in skirting. At timber merchants you can get it 5.1 metres long and sometimes longer. The pre-primed mdf skirting is 5.49m (18ft). It is cheaper per/m than B&Q and with the longer lengths it can be used more efficiently with regards to unusable off cuts and thus a further cost advantage.

mark

Reply to
mark

Certainly Drivel and Pennis have never been seen in the same room together, it could be more serious

Reply to
geoff

You could be right about it being in the family geof. There are a few in here that could be yours.

There is even one idiot that totally ignores where I said the original cornflakes and then starts arguing about what's in the stuff they sell now with what I said.

Reply to
dennis

You mean me? (having you call me an idiot is about as effective an insult as dribble calling somebody a plant pot)

You lied about what you posted. Admit that, and then we might have the beginnings of a rational argument. Carry on lying, and you just make yourself look stupid.

Reply to
Clive George

I suspect that part P is a non issue for most DIY since it seems most folks have never heard of it, and of those who have, I have not met one who takes any notice of it unless forced to by other LBA involvement in a project.

Reply to
John Rumm

Useless factoid for the day, I have a friend who suffers from that...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd guess that 80% of the people asking me to do electrical work haven't heard of it, the other 20% have a vague idea that 'the law has changed' but don't know any details.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

[...]

Yep, that's part of the problem, and a solution would need to cover it. That's why it's a difficult problem.

That's good. When I first started at my current job I got some things delivered to work, but after a while the Goods Inwards people told me it wasn't allowed. I'm fortunate in that I can work from home if I'm expecting a delivery, but I don't like to do it too often as it does reduce my productivity.

I must get round to asking someone more senior at work about an official policy for personal deliveries - perhaps the Goods Inwards blokes just make up their own rules to make their lives easier? I think it would be better for the company all round if I can get stuff delivered there rather than being at home, and I'm sure we handle a lot less physical stuff these days (the "paperless office" is a reality here) so it's not like they're snowed under with company deliveries.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

[...]

choose how my stuff is delivered. I'd be quite happy to pick my stuff up from the corner shop at the end of my road, but that's no good when the company I'm buying from wants to send it to my house during office hours or to a depot in the next city.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Most people ignore what you say Pennis

... because you mostly spout crap

Reply to
geoff

True.

Collect+ would be even better if they could collect your parcel for you from the seller, and deliver it to your local convenience store.

I used Collect+ several times during the postal strike and was very happy with their service.

For parcels in the 1 kg to 10 kg range the Collect+ flat rate price of £4.49 is astonishingly cheap. Royal Mail is cheaper below 1.25 kg. Above 1 kg there is no second class post and first class is only 4p cheaper at £4.45 from 1.0 to 1.25 kg.

Most of the packages I send out are below 1 kg so I have gone back to using Royal Mail.

Reply to
Bruce

On the subject of buying stuff for DIY (not breakfast), I can add:

In general I find the trade-orientated outlets painfully over-priced and staffed by people who would not be allowed to work in B&Q, Wickes or the like. Occasionally, and only occasionally, it is different. These week I tried to buy a slightly unusual Honeywell actuator for a valve on an underfloor system. I had the old one, so the part number was clear and I had tested it away from the system to confirm that it was caput. I e-mailed Honeywell and they gave me the names of the two largest outlets - normally suppliers to the trade.

At major outlet number 1 (maybe the larger plumbing/heating group), the man at the counter said he hadn't a clue, it wasn't on his system and he wasn't sure. I suggested that he contacted Honeywell since they had given me his Co's name. Grudgingly, he 'phoned and came back with, "Yes, Honeywell has them, they're =A324.40 inc. VAT". "Please, order me one, I'm happy to pay in advance so that you know that you won't be left with it", I replied. "Oh, did I mention the =A325 charge, 'cos we've got to order it", the surly sod added. My reply involved sex & travel

I 'phoned major outlet number 2, and asked again. "Don't see it on our catalogue but give me a little while and I'll 'phone you back". An hour later he did call back with the good news that he'd have in by the next day. Price the same =A324.40. When asked if he wanted payment in advance he said no. When I collected it all I had to pay was the price quoted. The intelligent employee even asked what it did and how it worked so he'd know next time. When I told him about the other outlet he laughed and said that he used to work for them and that it went on all the time -- they just made prices up to rip-off non-trade customers with special charges etc.

The second supplier is PTS part of BSS. I will get all my special plumbing stuff from them in future. I'll not name the other place but I'm sure lots of people know who they are. Naffer

Reply to
naffer

That's next door (in Northampton) to Plumb Center where I just bought some taps, so there's a useful choice. BTW, Plumb Centre was helpful and a couple of quid cheaper than on t'net.

Reply to
PeterC

Still not sure that would work - most sellers don't want hordes of individual couriers turning up to collect individual customers' orders. They'll have one courier company they work with, who turns up the same time each day, probably the same guy, and they load in their stack of parcels and that's that.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

You have a point. A high volume seller would cause traffic jams. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Lets just get the scale of this...

A high volume seller (Amazon, Ebuyer, RS, Screwfix, etc) has (say) between one and ten 40 foot artic trailers permanently on site. The courier drops an empty one off when they pick a full one up. There's no way they would be willing or able to accomodate all-and-sundry couriers collecting parcels.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Pete Verdon has already made that point. Why repeat it?

Reply to
Bruce

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:00:11 +0000, Bruce wibbled:

Winder if it's occurred to anyone that some customers feel that same way!

A decent seller in my book should offer a choice of courier and Royal Mail - at least we can choose the option where the depot isn't 50 miles away (had one of those).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Once again, the seller has a choice to make. It may be cheaper and/or more practical to offer just one delivery method. I have had problems trying to get eBay sellers to use Royal Mail (my preference) rather than a courier. But I have to respect that they may have an even stronger preference, up to the point where their business model almost depends on it.

One seller made the point that he had an account with the courier firm and got rock bottom prices in return for an exclusive deal. He also got 30 days' credit whereas Royal Mail wanted payment up front. I know how important cash flow is to a small business, so I had to accept that he would use a courier.

Depending on the courier, if I am not in when they attempt delivery, I have to drive from 18 to 52 miles each way to collect the package. There is one national courier firm with a depot just over a mile away, but no-one ever seems to use them!

In some cases I have had to resort to having it collected by a courier of my choice, which is why I made the suggestion. But as Pete Verdon pointed out, that could cause problems at the seller's end.

Reply to
Bruce

It's all snake oil, sugar coated cardboard that does you no good. But on the plus side Special K adverts in the past decade or so have featured some *very* fit women, and for that some of us are grateful :) I wouldn't go out of my way to eat either Special K or Cornflakes though.

Mike