The Fugi silicone tool

Yes, round the back of taps :-(((

Reply to
Mr Pounder

If you look at the existing bead you will lkely find is has "come unsuck", not actually split. Part of the secret is to keep the silcon as thin as possible. If the bead is very thick, it won't stretch and so detatches from the wall/bath tub.

Fill the tub with water before applying so the gap is opened up to max. Leave full untill the silicon has gone off.

I always forget to fill the bath up...

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Taa

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Mostly no.

If the surface is one where the tool would acheieve 100% wipe and/or a thin white film of silicone would not show (eg bath, tiles) masking tape would make the job worse (tends to leave a "step" when pulled off).

If the silicone is going upto a surface that is rough or does not wipe well (eg unpainted wood) tape can be a good idea.

Reply to
Tim Watts

> and its brilliant.

Thanks

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In message , Dave Liquorice wrote

The spider will be eating the flies emerging from the maggots feeding on the dead rat.

Reply to
Alan

> and its brilliant.

Gonna order it now!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mr Pounder

What does MS stand for ? Where do you get it ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

I agree - to be honest that's probably a feature of the Fugenboy tool; the fact that it enables you to get the 100% wipe, and it does so without 'tapering' the bead away to nothing, which is not desirable as it's very vulnerable to peeling away over time

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, masking tape does leave a step. I'll come back here for advice on the silicone when I do the job. Taa for the help.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I wondered where my pet rat had gone.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

The problem with a finger is that the profile changes as your angle of approach changes (near a corner for example). Similarly a spoon handle or whatever. Something spherical should be ideal but the handle of a glass cutter is too small. What else on a stick is round?

Reply to
stuart noble

Always wondered about that - I mean it's obvious that the gap changes, but is sealant under compression not at risk of breaking free just as sealant under tension is?

In other words, is it more sensible to half-fill the bath (rather than the usual advice of completely filling) before sealing, so that the gap is halfway between its maximum and minimum instead of at one extreme?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I myself have had the same thoughts as you. About silicone that is ..

Reply to
Mr Pounder

John Prescott - assuming he's on a stick at the moment of observation, of course.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

MS polymer stands for "Modified Silane" polymer. From my lay perspective i= t seems they might be more happily named silane-modified polymers (silanes = are very sticky things, also used in e.g. glass UV glues and glass paints, = etc) but then I'm no chemist.

You can get it all over the place now. A few years ago you had to go to so= me pro sealant supplier, but it's in B&Q etc (Evostick stuff, Ultimate Seal= and Glue or somesuch nonsense). Basically, look for something which says = it is a sealant and an adhesive, will likely say it is waterproof and will = set underwater, and will state that it is paintable. Oh and costs like =A3=

6-=A310 a tube (probably nearer the latter at B&Q).=20
Reply to
boltmail

Err no, it stands for Modified Silyl-terminated polymer, silane is silicon tetrahydride and is much nastier stuff.

I'd never have guessed.

No, you just needed to know what you were buying and it was available in B&Q for a reasonable price as Evostick Nail and Seal. I've been buying it from there since 2000 and using it as below the waterline sealant on boats.

Mostly it states on it that it is MS polymer.

If you shop around it's available from around £4/310ml.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ideally it should be injected into a gap to give it a good key, hence compression is less of a problem.

Might be worth considering if you are attempting a seal on an intersection without any gap for the material to be keyed into...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm no chemist, but out of curiosity I did download the MSDS for Siroflex's MS Polymer sealant, and it does list tri methoxy vinyl silane in the ingredients.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Pickles on a fork?

Reply to