The continuing hard drive worries.

umm. Sorry to disappoint you, but onboard intel GFX is not up to driving

3D rendering in real time on a decent screen size.

Neither does a low end MOB feature surround sound or digital audio out

And in my case, the reason the pc was a scrapper was because the onboard ethernet had blown up :-)

Not the first board with U/S ether I've seen either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

GB. oops.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One on the way:-)

No doubt you will all learn how I get on:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm. I am writing one.

Its not brilliant so far, but it looks like it will work

If I need to rewrie te sound device driver I will.. :-)

IT doesn't 'compile drivers into the kernel' They are all loadable modules same as winders.

Part of them need to be LINKED with the kernel in order to better communicated with its kernel libaries.

Mmm. advanced audio is pretty crap in almost all places.

Which is why I am coding up my 'guitar amp in software' as low as I need to go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fortunately I don't need this.

Odd. The only hardware problem I've had in the last 20 years was with a hard disk after a thunderstorm. The controller board was fried. So the girlie at a Mac store in Cambridge charged a tenner for the working board off a similar drive with a head crash. Sorted.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Don't understand. Do you mean "how do they get into the kernel?" to which the answer is;

man modprobe

NAME modprobe - program to add and remove modules from the Linux Kernel

SYNOPSIS modprobe [ -v ] [ -V ] [ -C config-file ] [ -n ] [ -i ] [ -q ] [ -b ] [ -o modulename ] [ modulename ] [ module parameters... ]

modprobe [ -r ] [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -i ] [ modulename... ]

modprobe [ -l ] [ -t dirname ] [ wildcard ]

modprobe [ -c ]

modprobe [ --dump-modversions ] [ filename... ]

DESCRIPTION modprobe intelligently adds or removes a module from the Linux kernel:

etc., etc., etc.

Or do you mean "who writes the drivers"? That's a much harder question.

Reply to
Huge

I've got that ticked. I've got "Computer" but no icon for the hard drive or for the host's shared volume I mounted in the Terminal.

BTW, does Mint have anything resembling Visual Basic? I want to make a double-clickable executable that can run a script, get the exit code from the script, and if required put up an alert panel with a message.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Odd. that suggest that the daemon that detects mounted volumes in not running. (dbus?) Try unticking everything, rebooting, and then reticking what you want.

There is some evidence of issues with CIFS/samba style 'windows' mounts.

What about inserting a dvd or a thumb drive?

Mm. python is probably your best bet for that.

the main problem is that even with GTK, actually opening a window is a bit opaque (sic!)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Andy Burns

If I use the Virtual box menu item to "mount" the VirtualBoxAdditions virtual DVD, then that appears on the desktop.

Hmmm, I'll take a look at that. Can't be worse than AppleScript, anyway :-)

I also found an apparent bug with drag and drop of a file from one File manager window to another. To effect changes, I've been editing under OS X, and saving a copy into the shared folder. The shared folder is mounted under Mint, but is owned by root so I drag it from there into my testbed in my Mint home directory. Last times I did that, the destination file was then missing about its last 350 bytes (out of about 300k). Copying with cp was fine so testing proceeded, but perhaps I should report that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

BSD unix. And I never bother with the discs that come with e.g. a new printer. Plug it in and OS X will download the right driver for you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Are you running mint in a VM?

these all sound like samba bugs to me.

I use NFS whenever possible because it 'just works'

Only my XP in virtual box uses samba, and that works OK with windows client and samba server.

Let me try and mount a smb volume on raw linux

nope, that show up OK too

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, using VirtualBox.

Where is your mount point? In /media? I'm mounting it into my home directory.

Reply to
Tim Streater

both. nfs mounts are under home. The other was just wherever it showed up

I used the gui tool to mount an smb partition

hang on its still mounted..

hmm I can't see it actually mounted anywhere at all as such, but I can access it with caja.

ah. its /run/user/1000/gvfs/nameofshsare

caja hides all that stuff from you.

It doesn't show in the mount table tho

Oh, it does, just not as expected

mount | grep gvfs

gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=me)

it may just be that /media and /mnt are excluded from showing up

I cant say for sure, but a couple of threads suggest that may be the case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks. I'll poke around those forums a bit. I'll prolly never be that expert in it, (any more than I am in apache configs) but I'll need to know more than I do now.

My email client is now running in Mint, AFAICT, but a few more things to figure out yet.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You can do all that with a shell (bash) script. If you want an icon you can use a Launcher (does right click ion the desktop pop up a menu with an entry that says "New Launcher"?) And there are several programs that will pop up a window from a shell script - I use "zenity".

Reply to
Huge

Under Mint, yes it does - thanks, something else for me to look into.

(I avoid shell scripting as its too arcane. PHP scripts do what I need and are much more comprehensible).

Reply to
Tim Streater

I knew there was something newer than xdialog but was struggling to remember it

Python is tidier than PHP which is too much of a rag-bag for me.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well that is all a bit more than 'just bash'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes. I sue PHP for simple web pages, and C for everything else.

But python is definitely something I would use to lash up a GUI based program. I just haven't got around to needing it yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher