The building collapse in Sheffield

Look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Go on then, which pictures?

Reply to
Bob H

One of the news sites seems to think someone was knocking down internal supporting walls ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

30 students made homeless? It sounds like serious overloading of the floor if they all lived in the part that collapsed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Would you like to stay in one of the neighbouring flats?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If the building was safe then yes:-)

BTW the Peter Sutcliffe was arrested less than a mile away from there.

Reply to
ARW

If the building was safe then yes:-)

BTW the Peter Sutcliffe was arrested less than a mile away from there.

Reply to
ARW

Were they in any immediate danger, I would expect to see cracks in the brickwork to the sides of the collapse and glass broken in some of the windows. To me, it seems that the beam that must have been holding up the front wall above the restaurant has failed, which makes the suggestion that somebody was removing internal structural walls quite probable.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

realrac123: People could have died in them flats...I work as an Uni lecturer.

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Bill Wright writes

Almost certainly a result of snow loading on excessively large satellite dishes mounted on the front wall.

If the streetlight hadn't helped hold the roof up then things could have been a lot worse.

Reply to
fred

A lecturer in English I presume?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Google Streetview shows one ordinary sized dish at the very edge of the collapsed area.

That is an optical illusion. The street light is at the edge of the pavement, several metres away from the roof, and in line with part of the building that did not collapse.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I don't think it was a carport this time.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sheffield. That's Bill's patch.

Reply to
Graham.

:)

Reply to
GB

The building goes back further than you might think ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

To the turn of the last century perhaps ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Somebody didn't use a digital lashing kit for their aerial. They probably used a "set alight" one instead.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Reading it now, it's like the cerebrally-challenged idly waggling their toes in the waters of linguistics.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Go away and google 'building collapse Sheffield' and then you may return, enlightened by your own endeavours rather than requiring to be spoon fed.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright