The bells at York

I don't want to listen to a recording of church bells. I want to listen to church bells.

But they are not being a bloody nuisance. If they were, they'd have been stopped a long time ago. No one who lives in a village dislikes them; they'd move out if they did, or not move there in the first place.

Sorry if these simple concepts are too hard for your pea-brain to absorb.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The established customs have a place in law, it generally being held that if its been going on for ages, you have a right to continue. This is enshrined in e.g., footpath law and so in, where 'rights of way'; are actually 'where people have walked since forever' and possession of land is 'land that someone's been on without complaint for 12 years' or whatever.

In short we have a tradition of the new adapting to the old, until the new outnumbers the old.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Neighbours are usually very tolerant of occasional excesses. But those causing any nuisance should always be mindful that they do need the neighbours' consent to continue. Bellringers in particular seem to forget that.

Reply to
Norman Wells

distortion like ice cream

Like ice cream vendors.

Reply to
Max Demian

Odd. I don't know of anyone who's been asked for consent by a neighbour about to throw a party which may be noisy, etc. Informed of it, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fair comment. However, many moons ago I used to think some of the mindless comments I heard made by Pakistanis was due to them speaking in a language that was not their mother tongue. Later I came to realise that many of these people are illiterate in their own language.

I gave the benefit of the doubt too generously.

Now if I hear a cacophony from a mosque I am no longer inclined to think that while it may not be tuneful to me it would be tuneful to those who understand that particular form of music.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that many muezzin are tone deaf. So this time I'll stick by my own impressions and consider it to be hopelessly out of tune until it's proven otherwise!

Pass the ear plugs please.

Reply to
pamela

"Thatsfake" means it's fake. Not difficult to work out if you think about it.

Reply to
pamela

Why? What's the difference?

Oh, they were. They just couldn't be stopped.

Now, they can.

What an absurd generalisation. There are many who dislike all sorts of things going on around them but tolerate them in a spirit of good neighbourliness, or don't realise they could put a stop to it.

Bellringers are living on borrowed time. It will only take one determined individual who is not prepared to compromise to bring their edifice down. They shouldn't push it.

Reply to
Norman Wells

So according to you, you have the right to shut down centuries old traditions because you personally don't like it?

OK - just don't live near me. Ever.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, not me. All I have is the right to complain if I feel the noise is a nuisance. If I do, the local authority has to investigate it and see if my complaint is justified according to standard protocols. If they decide my complaint is justified, they will issue a noise abatement order.

What's wrong with that?

Why? If the law says I can complain about a nuisance, who are you to say otherwise?

Reply to
Norman Wells

Sometimes it depends on who you are complaining about and who too.

Sometimes things get ignore because of race relations.

A simialr thing happens near me saurday and sunday about 2pm(above) but not much point in complaining. When someone dies or gets seriously injured tha;s when lessons will maybe be learnt.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Custom and Practice. Those words have some legal resonance.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

If you are happy to be sent to Coventry, go ahead.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I think you'll find that a fortnightly ringing practice plus bells once a week for the Sunday service won't constitute a nuisance.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If it's not a nuisance, it's not a nuisance.

If it's loud and stops me enjoying my property, however, it is and I can complain, which seems fair enough to me. What's wrong with that?

Reply to
Norman Wells

But I've just illustrated that they didn't forget it - you're making stuff up as you go along.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Because it is p hucker.

Reply to
Richard

If you knowingly move next to something that makes a noise or smell and has done for decades or centuries, that's your fault.

I say: Go find somewhere else if you don't like an established way of life. Don't come living near me and complaining about country smells, twice yearly village closures for major events and the biggest set of fireworks let off outside of Lewes on Bonfire Night, if all you're going to do is try to get it stopped. Essentially, if you do that, you will not be welcome and you will feel it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Which has an interesting story about its bells:

For some values of "interesting".

Reply to
polygonum

Which is why I said "(if good quality".