The antithesis to the Dark Internet; the Bright Internet

At work we have our network kit mounted on the wall. The idea is that we can show people exactly what kit we have - two modems, a Meraki device for load balancing, etc.

Part of the concept was that we would be able to "see" the data flowing by using cables that flash. (Especially useful when one of the lines is borked.) Unfortunately, now it comes to implementation, it is head scratching time. Is there such a thing as network cable that flashes? Or is that a mis-remembered thing which was actually USB or one of the other types of flashing cable that are available?

Reply to
polygonum

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 18:41 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You could string a bit of neon "string" down the cable under a clear sleeve.

However you would have to knock up a circuit that could control that.

Unless you have access to engineers that could design a pickup that will a) work and b) not bork the signal, you would probably be better off making a little opto-detector that could be mounted over the port LED on the swictch that the cable is plugged into - then put a driver between that and the string.

Also, neon string is probably quite a source of EM noise - it may not matter but it is worth bearing in mind.

Clear sheathed Cat5e with a bloody bright blue LED taped to the end(s) could be another method if you can find clear Cat5e.

It would all be very Heath Robinson - but it would certainly be cool so I for one am not going to disuade you!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Seen these (well some other make, but similar concept) at work

HARTING HA-VIS Smart Patch Cable

Adrian C

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 19:37 Adrian C wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That would have been useful at one place I used to work :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nice idea, isn't it?

Particularly nice that it operates entirely separately to the electrical signals. Just a shame we want it to act in concert to with them!

Reply to
polygonum

Presumably the LED on the termination of the cable into the switch etc would be a good starting point. Either coupling to that electrically or optically to use it to trigger further lighting...

Reply to
John Rumm

polygonum scribbled...

You cheat with some fibre optic cable