That's the electric cars sorted

In article , ARWadsworth scribeth thus

charging for main roads somewhere long ago in an argument with Drivel.

Still not a radical idea....

Reply to
tony sayer

Note to manufacturers:-

*Please*, before it gets common, could we have a standard that works with *all* devices.
Reply to
John Williamson

Induction charged buses have been in use in Torino since 2003 and are also undergoing trials in Los Angeles. The Dutch are looking into a system that uses solar panels at bus stops to provide the power for charging the buses.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

road and line either side with something conductive. Cars could then have a collector sticking out of the bottom that mated with the conductors. I seem to recall a toy based on this principle.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

:-)

Now if the scientists would stop messing around and invent a teleport machine we would not have this problem.

And why on StarTrek did people walk to a transporter bay when they could be transported there?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

what's the transfer efficiency? 3%? 5%?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Been around for ever and never been used because its simply not efficient safe or practicable at high power levels. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had visions of several cables laying around in the road and competition for who's power-fuel you wanted.

Course we could have overhead cables too;))..

Reply to
tony sayer

The actors union insisted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Theres a good joke there somewhere about "another one will be along any week now" ;?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Scalectrix IIRC?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which makes it a no-goer?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

London trams worked that way in many areas, although the power bars were inside the conduit, so that people couldn't step on them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Load of old rubbish. It will neverhappen. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We could call'em trolley-buses :D

Reply to
brass monkey

Yep, it surely can't keep rising like this without a few folks thinking "hey, hang on a minute".

Reply to
brass monkey

If I invented a transporter, I would put the design on USENET in the public domain.

Then I would set up a company selling transporter shielding for $$$$

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its not possible, well not as Star trek way. Its not the scanning along with the quantity of data that is the biggest problem. Its getting the energy from the start to the finish. Even one person (say 100kg) would probably produce enough energy to rip the atmosphere of the planet. We are talking billions of tons of TNT stuff.

What stops you transporting the shielding first?

Reply to
dennis