That's hard work for an electrician.

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

Reply to
ARW

My mother asked me to look at her fridge a few weeks ago, it wasn't working and she thought she needed a new one.

Switched on the socket immediately above the fridge, the one with the plug whose cable goes through a hole in the work-top that could only realistically belong to the fridge.

Reply to
Graham.

In a different life I used to repair refrigeration. What you describe was not unusual.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In message , Graham. writes

I suspect I have just been exposed to something similar. The comestible provider executive (with acknowledgements to another poster) dumped her food mixer on my desk and said *it doesn't work*.

Now my first mistake was in not plugging it in to test. The second was incautiously unscrewing the back on my untidy desk which was promptly enveloped in flour!

Once the ping f--k its had been re-assembled it worked perfectly. Doubtful brush contact? Dirty speed control switch? Or a 69 year old brain?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , ARW writes

NOT FUNNY!

Along with a few other comments here I fell foul of something similar a while back.

I don't often use our built in oven, when I did venture into the kitchen and try it, it wouldn't work. OK no problems, microwave meal for two. Later on I removed it from the cupboard, removed the back, got a meter out and proved, conclusively, without a shadow of a doubt, that I hadn't turned one of the switches on. But at least I proved which one. My wife totally pi$$ed herself laughing :-(

PS my wife is a teacher and only last week she was telling me that she went to use the ceiling mounted projector in a classroom that she doesn't normally use and it wouldn't work. Called in the caretaker, sorry site agent, to take a look. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. Called up the teacher whose room it was and was told where the isolator switch was, far corner of the room and unmarked!

Reply to
Bill

In a different life I used to repair electric cookers. The number of times I was called to "Oven not working". Just needed a button on the timer pressed.

Reply to
harryagain

Well, let's face it, those cooker timers are largely incomprehensible, and so rarely used that few people ever gets grips with them.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I nearly threw the bedroom tv out yesterday. Then I tried the source button. Her indoors had obviously "dusted" it

Reply to
stuart noble

In my day teachers just had a packet of chalk and a blackboard. Woe betide anyone who misbehaved, they were likely to have a close encounter with a fast moving eraser.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Reckon that's true for nearly everyone here. Do we have any youngsteres here? Or are they all too busy chasing disfunctional tail

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Some twenty five years ago I spent a whole day flying to Glasgow from Birmingham to a customer who complained their computer would not work. Despite going through the obvious things on the phone they needed to check like was it plugged in and turned on they were adamant that they wanted a visit. They had no maintenance contract. Their manager was warned that if there was no fault then they would be charged the air and taxi fares plus my hourly rate. When I arrived and crawled under the desk I found that the computer was not plugged in! Problem solved I made my way back to base. My boss was not impressed and sent them an invoice worded along the lines of "Visiting your premises and training staff to plug the computer in and switch it on at the mains" £375plus VAT. Their manager went ballistic but duly paid the bill on time.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

A classmate of mine, in the mid sixties, who was a demon cricket fielder caught the eraser and returned it with pinpoint accuracy hitting the teacher in the groin. The eraser was never thrown again at a pupil by that teacher. Nor was any obvious retribution applied to the pupil.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

A friend of mine was about to throw out a portable radio because it would only work intermittently. She hadn't realised it had alarm and sleep modes, which she had turned on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I was just shutting the cupboard door above our oven when it flickered off, which was a shame, as I was just about to load it.

Scratched head a little. Turned out I was trying to cram in too many cereal packets, and had managed to hit the isolation switch.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In Junior 1, the teacher, who was in her probationary year, had lots to learn about how to cope with a class.

I sat at the back, and I can still see the sky-blue wall splattered with chalk marks, and the occasional larger hole from the board rubber. There was a gap under the skirting board and she never believed that any pencil which dropped off my desk rolled irretrievably out of reach. She once voiced her intent to "lick me into shape"; few have been further from achieving it.

Bitter, moi?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You didn't take her up on the offer ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was a brand technical manager at IBM back in the 90's. I was passed a call from the CEO of one of our biggest customers - his ThinkPad wouldn't boot, giving the "missing NTLDR" message. I told him to check there wasn't a diskette in the drive. He said "oh yes - I'll eject it", did so, but still got the same error on reboot. So I had a 90 minute drive there as it now sounded like an HD problem and our senior management wanted it sorted pronto.

Guess what - there WAS still a diskette in the drive and he'd ejected his PCMCIA modem.

Reply to
Reentrant

About 9 years ago, I worked for a small software house. We had a call from a client that their system couldn't connect to the central database.

Our helpdesk guy talked to them for over half an hour, and they swore blind the router was plugged in, and on.

Eventually he drove out there, to find out the router wasn't plugged in. Despite his asking her to actually *look* at it, she "couldn't be bothered, as it's always on".

I know a lot of people grumble about 0845 support lines, but you can see why they're needed ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I always suspect the chief driving force of people going into teaching is a dislike of children.

Age 7 or 8 I was once ticked off for wanting to sit nearer the front. I suspect it was early onset of short sightedness that caused me to ask but one teacher said to the one I'd asked: "He can see perfectly well in my class." In hindsight, I can imagine the ancient old bag that said that wrote a lot bigger than the younger, quiet spoken who I'd struggled to read.

Reply to
Scott M

they were likely to have a close encounter with a fast moving eraser.

My woodwork teacher kept a number of heavy chair legs handy, and would throw them at the head of boys who misbehaved.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright