That's all the stress and relief released

I live close to a school and have a regular problem with people parking across my drive. I threatened some that any cars blocking my drive would have the offending parts cut off with an angle grinder. I now see them get out and check that they are clear of my drive. I even had one sari clad lady come ask if her parking was OK. Another use for an angle grinder!!!!! Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

I live next to a school too and one day had a lady reverse into my drive and ask if she could leave it there!

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Class:-)

Although the words parking and school seldom go together. Instead of parking it is usually a load of women abandoning their cars 3 feet from the kerb at a 30 degree angle and they only managed that on the 3rd attempt.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some of them do use the designated parking places - you know, the ones marked out with zig zag yellow lines.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The one that always gets me is the gfs neighbour. She has to leave 5 minutes before the gf in a morning to drive her son to school as there is nowhere to park outside the school. The gf walks and her son is in school first every morning.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

'hunter%11gatherer'-now-'parker'-201203155011/Tim

Reply to
Tim

I used to do the school run every morning as SWMBO was working a distance away and had to leave early. I would have preferred to walk, but it would have taken too long to get back to my car to drive to work. So I compromised and used to park about 5 minutes walk from the school, well clear of all the crowds.

(my hours are flexible but the work car parks used to fill up)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Around my way the council introduced 20mph speed restrictions and road humps around the school areas. This didn't stop double parking or parking on pedestrian crossing zig zag lines in these areas. Child safety does not apply to school run parents.

What seems to have worked is the local council's enforcement vehicle. A car with a high definition camera mounted on a pole on it's roof. It has been targeting the school run. Sited a couple 100 metres or so from the school gates it videos the "parking" offenders and they get the fine demand through the post.

The car is usually used to drive down back streets to catch those parking "illegally" on yellow lines.

Unfortunately this vehicle has its downsides. A friend of mine lives on a street where parking is only allowed on one side of the street - AND this side changes on a monthly basis at mid-night. The enforcement car has regularly been seen in his street at 8pm on the last day of the month and at 6am on the first of the month!

Reply to
Alan

I have seen our lollypop lady administer a controlled bollocking[1] to people parking on the zigzags outside the school gates. The people were the guardians of the sprogs the zigzags are designed to protect!

[1] the sort of bollocking that does not get one sacked despite desires to the contrary.
Reply to
Tim Watts

------- The ealier statement about parking and yellow lines is incorrect. The double yellow lines are reserved for late comers to park. At least that's how it appears to me! Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

Another take on driveways. Down my road all the houses have 150 ft back gardens and a rear access road. Yet many have felt the need to install driveways at the front, thus removing the front fence and the effect of this is two fold. 1. Myself and a few other blind people used to shorelining the fences end up in peoples gardens or wrapped around their vehicles, 2, less on street parking causing a lot of arguments and it also makes it difficult for dial a ride or taxis to stop anywhere and puck us up. My view on this is that sure, if you have only front access get a drive, if you have just the minor inconvenience of walking down your back garden to get to your car, then think of the greater good and keep your car at the back. the council of course loves these folk who want runways, as they get a large rake off from their construction across the public footway. As for angle grinders, I think if you ever used one in the way described the owner would do you for criminal damage. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Isnt this why they now have this radar parking stuff fitted? the other mode of parking at schools is one wheel on the footway of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If anyone parked blocking my driveway, their car would be smashed to bits in an hour or so by a passing speeding nutter. I have seen it several times.

The nutters nearly always drive BMWs. There must be a reason for this.

Reply to
harryagain

Can't these boys walk to school by themselves? How old are they? I was walking a mile to school aged 5.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have suggested it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Really? You do surprise me.

Better just throw a few caltrops down when no one is looking then.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The mind boggles.

However one morning I turned up for work in the car and not the van (the van had gone to the garage). I pulled up outside the customers house and he came running out and shouted "You can f*ck off, I've got an electrician coming here soon and he will want to park there"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was travelling 15 miles by public transport and two miles of walking aged 6.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Excellent! ;-)