That central heating again

Does anyone know why the piping is not allowed by a gov grant installation to go under the floorboards and come up either side of the radiator couplings.

So in one of the pics I posted you have seen it going along the skirting to radiator,what is the technical reason they wont allow under the floorboards when the bulk of the piping is under them?

My guess is its just conveinance.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Is that a grant for installing CH? If so, I'd guess that it's so to prevent heat loss.

Possibly, although with a fixed grant it should be up to the owner as to whether they want to pay more than the grant. I'd go with heat loss.

Nothing to prevent a bit of re-jigging after the install..

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes it is a grant for CH,sorry.

So if its as you say "heat loss" 2' to 3' of piping in three places is hardly going to make that much difference.

He's unhappy with piping running along the skirt and I suggested to wait a few months and get someone in to run it under the floorboards.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No, but remember it's the Gummint we're dealing with.

Sound idea. You^W they could probably do it the day after the installer leaves.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not until its had the two inspections I'm afraid...the company that installed it and the governing body that allowed for the grant. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I would say its purely down to costs - hiding pipes takes time, sometimes a lot more time, therefore costs more.

"Beggars can't be choosers". Not always true though, depends how loud and how often you can shout at someone in charge.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Regardless of the cost,it does not give them the right to destroy his home.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It probably is but... There are building regs which (now) prohibit the notching of joists and set strict limits on how where holes maybe bored. Installing copper pipes without notching is problematic and time consuming. To get around this many installers will use Hep2O and then change to Cu just before it emerges on show.

I've not used it yet but there is now a product to convey gas, which involves corrugated s/steel pipe and special end fittings. Allegedly the pipe can be cabled through a series of 25mm holes.

Does the gov grant specify that a certain installer must be used or what?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

To unpick this matter I think we would need to know exactly how the gov grant stuff works.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'm about as much in the dark as you on GG work?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Diregarding GG and how it works...95% of the piping is under floorboards so whats the difference of having piping leading up to the rad via underneath floorboards? this lends me to think its either of these three... convenience,laziness or just the type of property.

My guess is they wouldn't dare do it in a 150k property.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It is possible that the existing condition of the property might affect the choices made by the installer if the installer is an independent. This company probably has employees who do the what they must but not any more - the root problem is that the routing of the pipework was not negotiated prior to starting.

Reply to
Ed Sirett