Textured ceiling paints? Easy to use?

I've now replastered the walls in the spare room and they are looking good (by the time I've finished the house I might actually be able to plaster!) however the ceiling isn't so hot. I've not keen on trying to plaster this (tried before, couldn't work out how to turn gravity off) and but the ceiling isn't exactly in great nick.

I've patched up the bit that had come lose from the the lathes but there are a couple cracks across the rest. I know the correct solution would beto pull it down and redo it but I can't face the mess (and I don't reallyhave time) so looking around B&Q I find several "wonder" products thatpromise to solve all my problems...

Anyone tried the polycell Basecoat stuff?

maybe the Polycell "Crack free ceilings" product?

maybe Polycell "Textured ceilings"

assume the last of these is a bit like artex? If so, most of the rest of the rooms have a textured ceiling so this could be easily be SWMBO approved - if I can make a half decent job of applying it. Is it easy to use (or maybe even proper artex?).

I've never used any of these textured finished - how easy is it to get a reasonable finish? I'm looking for something fairly subtle - not huge peaks :)

It claims "Use a foam roller for maximum texture or a fibre roller for a finer texture" - wtf is a "medium texture"??

Someone on here must have used this stuff - is it any good (I'm worried it'll go wrong and I'll spend the next weekend trying to scrape the bloody stuff off again :))

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

> I assume the last of these is a bit like artex? If so, most of the > rest of the

TBH they all look absolutely s**te, the adverts are quite entertaining though, with the hot chick just flopping it on and getting excellent results while making it look like a piece of piss....the sad fact is this: It's astronomically priced inthat it would be cheaper to have a plasterer come to your house and reboard and skim the ceiling, giving you in effect, a blank canvas to do with as you please....and BTW, you don't need to pull anything down, you can board over the existing ceiling

practically impossible, the best effort I ever saw was in a house in Manchester, and even then it still looked like someone had painstakingly stapled dry roasted peanuts to the ceiling - big ugly blobs everywhere, but at least they were evenly spaced, almost every other attempt I have witnessed has been a complete abortion....patches as rough as a bears arse and other patches as flat as a witch's tit

Best advice I can give you if your ceiling is uneven and manky is to paper it and then paint it, if this is something that also fills you with dread, then stipple it yourself, but not with artex or any of the crappy 'textured' handyman garbage, paint the whole thing with fairly strong PVA and then mix some very wet skimming, put it on with a brush and go over it with a stippling brush like this:

just push it upwards and pull it down again, to create soft rounded peaks

Reply to
Phil L

and even then it still looked like someone had painstakingly stapled dry roasted peanuts to the ceiling

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great wording. 10 / 10

Reply to
BigWallop

I thought as much...

Yeah, could board over the lot, but that's more work than I was hoping for. I was looking for the easy, quick, perfect fix - you've confirmed what I thought (there isn't one :))

Alternatively, maybe I just need to find a hot chick to come and do it for me...

Lol!

I hate wall papering. I've not tried papering a ceiling but I guess I can give it a go (I've spent hours scrapping bloody woodchip off of this ceiling - I can now see why it was there!)

Hmmm.... might have a play on a bit of scrap board. I suspect papering is going to be the best compromise however :-(

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Try using Artex or drywall filler instead of plaster. Dearer, but a LOT easier to use. I skimmed a textured ceiling with the former, having previously given up on normal plaster. Bloody tiring doing anything at that angle though.

Reply to
stuart noble

Bod, i'll agree with that, they are more than absolutely s**te, i'd rather have a cracked scabby celing that feckin artex.

bloody bungalow im in has it everywhere, celings, walls, i'm sure if he could have he'd have put it on the floors too, bloody bloke who lived here before was a bodger of extinction,

our bedroom has flat walls which are nice (as the walls everywhere else are sharp due to the artex s**te he put on, lost count how many times we've taken the skin off our arms walking up or down the narrow stairs)

but the bedroom celing, looks like he used 20 different patterned aplicator jobbies randomly, and then a bit in the corner looks like the celing came down or something, so he patched it, but didnt use a patterned roller/applicator, instead used his fingers to splodge it about and make the dips and bumps,

i never had much of an issue with artex type stuff before, but now i hate the stuff with a passion, i actually found myself saying out loud 'christ, he's not going to buy that shit is he' in B&Q&Q&Q&Q the other week when i saw someone pick up a tub of it.

Reply to
gazz