Testing Telephone Cable

Hi all

I have a second telephone cable run from the master box in the downstairs hallway, all the way to my distribution point in the loft. This I intend to use for unfiltered signal when broadband is installed. Pulling some power cables recently along a similar route, I noticed that the second telephone cable had been "dented" and was scorched on the opposite side to the dent impact over about an inch of its length. This has obviously been the work of plumbers who upgraded the ch recently despite my urgings to them to take care of cabling.

So, the question, can I test the cable somehow to make sure its OK? Will mean lifting lots of floor again to replace cable at this stage.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It is never good practice to put data or telephone cables in the same duct or trunk as power cables. Neither should be in a duct with heating pipes.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

It will either work or it won't, by and large.

And you probably have several wires spare, some of which may work..as well.

Unless there is good reason to relay NOW, leave it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:40:28 -0000 someone who may be "TheScullster" wrote this:-

Test it for continuity using a battery powered DC meter. If such cables are unbroken then they will generally carry a signal. Test all the pairs and if they are all sound and you have problems sending the ADSL signal over one pair try another pair.

Reply to
David Hansen

The Natural Philosopher typed

True, but it may work partially, like being fine for broadband and outgoing calls, but not ringing properly for incoming calls (BTDT) and possibly not then actuating an answering machine.

Connect up a phone to your suspect cable. Try to make an outgoing call, try it for BB if you can and check it all rings if you phone it from another line (mobile recommended).

I think the BT website has some other line-testing things but I'm not sure if non BT customers can use them.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

If there's any slack, cut and rejoin the melted bit with a proper phone junction box.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Depends what phone you use for the test, so far as checking the ringing is concerned. Many phones now connect to only two wires (2 & 5, which should be Blue pair, conventionally), and split the ringing signal internally. Other phones use three wires (2 & 5, plus 3 - Orange pair), using the ring signal that has been split to the third wire at the Network Termination Equipment (usually referred to as a 'linebox' or master socket).

If wire 3 has been damaged a 'two-wire' phone won't detect the fault.

Reply to
kevallsop

In message , Helen Deborah Vecht writes

17070 for automated line test and ring-backs.
Reply to
Steven Briggs