Test of LED bulbs

I've done a refit of the hall lighting using double fitting MR16 downighter s and 3W COB bulbs. OK it's a small hall and around around 2.25m high, but the improvement over halogens is significant, let alone the reduction in h eat generated - it was that that triggered the refit. It's particularly no ticeable that the COB bulbs have a better spread than the LED spotlight typ e. The loading was previously 70w and is now 12.

From the fact that there is no polarity on the 'transformer' I take it the bulbs run on AC, presumably at a high frequency than the mains.

Here's the question - part of my workshop is lit with a couple of the Ikea

4 bulb bar systems - biggish 12v transformer and MR16 bulbs that can be poi nted in any direction. I would like to try one of the COB bulbs I have to see how well it works in this unit - I would just replace one bulb to keep the voltage regulation in order; anybody see any problems ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

My kitchen has a tracklight with 4 fittings run from an external electronic "transformer" (50 - 250W varilite IIRC), I replaced one of the 12V 50W halogens with a 9W Cree LED, and that has performed well using the existing transformer. (not sure if I would get away replacing all of them on that transformer since it has a minimum load of 50W).

Reply to
John Rumm