Tesco CFL's

Stumbles, you utter bastard ...

If it is a BDDB, I have it almost going round and round in my head, but I have a problem with my record deck ATM

I can't get a grip on something meaningful

Spill the beans

Reply to
geoff

Life's like that, isn't it? Only the other day was strolling through the West End when, suddenly, I was set upon by hordes of fans and admirers who wanted to ... touch my clothes: so I took refuge in a nearby cinema. Normally, of course, I don't go in but that day I saw something that really moved me. It was ... The Sound Of Music ...

Reply to
John Stumbles

Of all the "talkies", it's the one I didn't think of

Obvious

Reply to
geoff

Who'd have thought - uk.d-i-y is full of Bonzo fans. (I count myself amongst them.)

Reply to
Huge

It was ... The Sound Of Music ...

Having just dug that out of Spotify

track is such a cacophony of hoots, cackles, and wails. Perfect silliness, but can't quite hear an Angle Grinder being played...

Reply to
Adrian C

Reply to
Huge

You need the Spotify client. Runs fine under WINE.

Reply to
Andrew May

Spotify works fine on Wine.

've got it in the workshop running quite nicely on a PII-400MHz PC on the previous to recent release of Xubuntu.

Reply to
Adrian C

Yes, I know. I don't want WINE on my Linux machine - I run XP under a VM for Windows stuff, and I'm listening to The Best of Joy Division on Spotify right now with it. ICBA to copy the URL over, is all. People shouldn't post such URLs, anyway.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Andy Wade Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:34:32 writes

I wonder what the design criteria is for 23w and 11w.

Why 11 and not 10? Maybe someone should make 98w tungsten.

I wonder how accurate the 11w rating actually is. Probably 15w in practice.

Reply to
Les Desser

Given that it's a CFL, more likely 10W with a concomitant reduction in light output.

Reply to
Huge

Who'd have thought - uk.d-i-y is full of Linux fans. (I count myself amongst them.)

:-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

John Stumbles wibbled on Friday 27 November 2009 19:22

Hmm Linux too popular - have to move to FreeBSD in order to remain elitist and snobby...

But then what?...

;->>>

Reply to
Tim W

Oh, I've got an SGI IRIX box here (unfortunately as a monitor stand, at the moment)

Cost £35K in 1993 or somefink.

Reply to
Adrian C

Been using BSD since about 1978...never wanted Linux (had a look, but...)

Could fire up ANU News on VAX/VMS, I guess...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The closest you'll get is "the intro and the outro"

Reply to
geoff

Not me, I have it all on vinyl ...

Reply to
geoff

Solaris here. I did have to do software development on Linux for a year, but it was a relief to get back to a professional Solaris development environment, stable documented interfaces, rock solid, debugable, etc.

A few jobs back, some colleagues were very much into FreeBSD, and ported our products to it. It worked fine on small systems, but didn't scale well to multi-core systems back then (gave the appearance of a kernel that wasn't well threaded, although I never looked into it to see if that was the reason). I don't know if that's changed, but of course multi-core systems are now everywhere because single core performance ran into the buffers, so it's much more important than it was back then.

In the commercial space where I work, there was a very brief period 15 years ao when it might have been considered as the OS for some opensource apps, but Linux has killed it in that area, and it's never had any serious commercial applications on it, so it's completely vanished now. Main commercial use is probably as an appliance OS, where the BSD licensing model works better than GPL (as used by Linux).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm running FreeBSD on a couple of dual core machines (one in very heavy use) with no problems. Also on a hyperthreaded CPU, for what it's worth.

All the others are single core (Pentium 4, lots of VIA C3s).

Reply to
Bob Eager

In the commercial world, smallest PC-type systems I see used now are 8 core (2 sockets x 4 cores each). I see more 16 core systems in the work I do, but rapidly increasing use of 32 core systems for virtualisation. It's well over a year ago now that we had to bump up the #define in the Solaris x86 kernel for max number of cores to

256 (sorry, don't know which system(s) that's for).

Solaris sparc has been running on very many cores for some 15 years now (and because Solaris x86 is mostly the same source, we don't have much to do to optimise the kernel and libraries for large numbers of cores - that painstaking work was done many years ago).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel