'Terracotta' vs. 'quarry' tile - difference?

I'm intending laying quarry tile on my kitchen/dining room and hallway floor. I've seen them in Homebase,B&Q, etc. The box says they are British quarry tile - they're a deep, earthy red colour, and about 6 inches square. I presumed that they would be reasonably straight forward to lay, in the same way ceramic floor tiles are. However, in trailing through the postings there's a lot of talk of the difficulties in laying/maintaining 'terracotta' tile i.e. soaking first, sealing before laying, grouting with special mix, sealing again, periodic waxing, etc.

My question is, what is the difference between 'terracotta' tiles and these 'quarry' tiles I have? Should I be sealing them, etc.? Or are they laid as normal ceramic floor tiles?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Alan McIntyre

Quarry tiles tend to be very hard and impermeable. They can be laid on cement-based adhesive. They need no special maintenance. Terracotta tiles are much softer non-vitreous tiles that will suck up water, stain, etc. etc., and do need sealing. These can also be laid on cement adhesive, but will stain if splodged on before sealing.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt