Temporary floor

Having installed appropriate joists in the 30 sq m half of my first floor that didn't have them, I now want to put down a temporary floor on which I - and the joiner who will build my dormers - can work, to complete this part of my renovation. I want to lay loft board or similar, to avoid dirtying and damaging the pitch pine floorboards that I have stacked in the garage, that will be the finished floor. Does anyone have an opinion on the cheapest way to create such a temporary floor, that will be strong enough? The joists span 3.5m to each side of a dividing wall, and are at 400mm (ish) centres.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Few sheets of the cheapest 18mm board at your timber merchants (probably spruce ply or OSB/stirling board both around =A320/sheet). You probably only need to sheet the walkways and main work areas, not every inch - and you'll find plenty of re-uses for a few odd sheets later.

Reply to
dom

Put your pine floor down and cover with hardboard. Tape the joints.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Dee

I used 18mm ply when doing similar work then turned it over and used it to board out the loft space for storage

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thanks - I don't call 20 quid a sheet cheap though. I'm interested in cheap cheap ;-)

I can re-use some of the flooring (loft boards) that I took up, but some of it is a bit precarious...

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

18mm chipboard then.