Temporary drain repair with (ahem) car body filler?

Hi all after more investigation of our drain fly problem (see posting of a couple of weeks ago) I've found the problem. Our drain is cracked - a little below the 'water line', and above the swan neck. I've put a photo up at:

I've had a chap come to have a look at it and obviously it will have to be properly fixed RSN. But in the meantime ... any thoughts of a temporary bodge to last a few weeks and stop things getting worse? Car body filler and an angle grinder really *do* come to mind this time...

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Just dig around it and replace[1] it with a new hopper, they cost about £20, then backfill and relay the concrete / slabs / whatever.....3 hours work at most, and this includes the journey to pick up the stuff.

[1] There's no magic involved, these things simply slot together, and you may be able to use a plastic one, with a rubber seal which just pushes on....if you manage to find a saltglaze one (like the original) then you'll need strong sand/cement, but the method is pretty much the same.
Reply to
Phil L

Hi Phil

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion ... it may come to that, but i'm looking for a temporary fix to do tomorrow, prior to the sort of thing you outline, to do in a few weeks time.

I'm now thinking of some sort of caulk... recommendations?

Ta J

Reply to
jkn

Whichever way you choose to fix it, I can't see drain flies having much interest in this - it's a surface water drain? - that is to say, it's not soil (shit) and this is what drain flies need to survive and breed

Reply to
Phil L

Hi Phil

I think they are interested in the damp corner in the kitchen which this crack is causing ... We've had the occasional rat in the past & I wonder if they are feeding on the now-damp remaining pellets. There's definitely a stagnant smell associated with this area.

jkn