Temporarily "capping off" an unused but live cable?

There's a 2.5 mm^2 spur cable (on a ring) coming up out of the floor of a cupboard, through a brick wall, to a now disused FCU (on the other side of the brick wall). I need to take the FCU off the wall & put a light switch in the same place, re-using the hole for the lighting cable. (I'll use a Wago box in the cupboard to connect the lighting wiring up.)

I don't want to dig the floor up to find the other end of the spur cable right now. What are some good ways to terminate the cable safely in the cupboard until I get round to disconnecting it? (That could be weeks or months.)

I have a few spare Wago boxes & lever terminals, so I could use those, but a smaller termination would be better, if safe. OTOH, the Wago bits look quite easily re-usable without damage.

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Funk

"Chocbox"

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why do you need a smaller termination?

Reply to
ARW

Just slap a normal 3 terminal JB on the end of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1.

I have had something like that in one of my kitchen cupboards for 20 years.....

Reply to
newshound

Put a switched fused spur on it instead of the light switch and save connecting it to the lighting circuit.

Reply to
dennis

No end of ways. Any electrical accessory you have lying about, or any cover that physically prevents access.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

An enclosure of some sort, so single gang flush or surface box and blank plate, ordinary junction box. If you are paranoid, connect the wires into a terminal block or the terminals of a JB, or just tape them over (not together!). Just make sure the box can't come off the end of the cable or the cable come out of the box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Either tape it up or put through crimps on the ends of the cables and tape them up.

Reply to
ARW

I don't really *need* one. I guess a "dead-end" Wago box is probably the highest quality way to do it, & the bits are all reusable.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I've already got a lighting circuit going through the cupboard. If I connect the lights to the FCU, I'd have to put a dead end on the lighting power cable instead.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I'm surprised at that recommendation --- I guess the emphasis is on "temporarily"?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I'm puzzled at where the issue or question is. I dont see what quality has to do with it either, whether you used an MK accessory or white value, I cant see it making the least difference. Seriously, I dont see what question there is

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Seems OK to me. If the crimps are pointed down it meets the IP requirement and the tape means there's 2 layers of insulation :)

This all leaves me feeling nostalgic (+old) for the days when just some sticky, black cloth tape round the wires and a warning "keep your fingers off the wire or you'll feel it" would have sufficed. If it was just for a day or 2 the tape might be omitted - as was repeatedly said, it don't grow on trees you know!

Reply to
Robin

I just write "LIVE" on the wall next to the cable.

(Perhaps "DEATH" would be more appropriate, actually.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And you still double crimp the crimp.

But as a temporary solution it would not bother me if just tape was used.

Reply to
ARW

D'oh.

I've changed my signature to something more appropriate to today's brain.

Reply to
Robin

Solder random electronic components to some circuit board. Attach the mains cable in such a way that it doesn't connect to any of them. Enclose in a box with some foreign writing on it.

Return to uk.d-i-y in a few years to answer the question from the next occupant of the house.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

I'm currently tidying up the flat after the tenant has left. I found a length of flex with stripped ends plugged into the wall, with the socket switched on.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

I think that's called "real-world trolling".

Reply to
Adam Funk