Temperature record broken

Page 1 of 2
Bit off topic but guaranteed to start more spiel on aircon but it sez on the seefax that Heathrow reports 37.4 c!...
--
Tony Sayer

...which is normal blood temperature +/- a smidgeon.
So why does it feel so bl**din' hot?

Well its just said on the wireless that its now just gone past 100 F!.
Never mind, torrential floods in the back country reported, with 14 people hurt by lightning..
And the significance to UK DIY?. Too sodding hot to do anything!...
--
Tony Sayer

Wimp. Built 20' x 3' of retaining wall, shifted about 3 ton of hardcore and fitted a loft ladder. Biggest bitch was the bricklaying, but nicked SWMBO's gazebo and worked under that. Best thing about diy in this heat is that your really appreciate the cold beers when you finish each job.
Cheers Clive

house
You certainly did.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:41:24 +0100, 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote:

I don't need no stinkin vegies, I get all the contact with vegies I need just reading his posts! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

house
You need to eat veggies.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:50:27 UTC, "Christian McArdle"

You don't live in Canterbury, do you? Or is it just the nature of things that tips get put next to sewage works?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

house
Exactly a year ago a similar large thread emerged called "Domestic Air Cooler", and your ignorance on the matter was so laughable. You were ripped to pieces. Have a Google and see. Such fun.

Now claims to have reached 37.9C at Heathrow.
I'm about 20 miles from Heathrow, and I recorded a peak outdoor temperature of 37.5C at 16:11 this afternoon, since when it's been dropping.
My Loft got to 45.5C. Strangely, my loft has been hotter at 46.5 when outside temperature was only at 30.5, on August 4th. A significant factor in heating the loft is direct radient heat from the Sun which is now dropping as we move away from midsummer's day, which might explain why the effect is reduced from a week earlier, whereas a large factor behind the outside temperature is caused by sucking hot air from France.
--
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Spellchecker, eh?
Hottest here today was 36.7. House rose to 22.5 in face of the onslaught.
    666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) writes:

Very rarely do I remember to.

Strangely, it's not actually so humid today -- my aircon is not generating any excess water as it's managing to evapourate it all in the condensor. When it is very humid, it doesn't manage to evaporate it as fast as it collects it.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Am amazed how difficult it is to find any historical data on temperatures. E.g. how hot was it the day Chelsea won the Championship in 1955? I've often wondered about the part the weather has played in world events. The Met Office seem to want paying for such highly sensitive information and the web sites I've looked at say that no historical data is available for London. Freedom of information my arse.
"stuart noble" wrote | Am amazed how difficult it is to find any historical data on temperatures. | E.g. how hot was it the day Chelsea won the Championship in 1955? I've | often wondered about the part the weather has played in world events. The | Met Office seem to want paying for such highly sensitive information and | the web sites I've looked at say that no historical data is available | for London. Freedom of information my arse.
Go to your local main public or university library. If they don't have bound copies of the local paper from the time ask for a national, which will probably be on microfiche.
Owain

temperatures.
bound
Seems like a roundabout route to get hold of information in the public domain. I guess if I was *that* interested I'd take your advce :-)
tony sayer wrote:

Sorry to hear some of you wimps suffering in the heat but I've been wearing a jumper this week in anticipation of the 43 degs in Riyadh when I arrive Tuesday morning!
Now that my friends is hot and it will get hotter!
Steve R -- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

And don't forget the 'Get out of Jail Free' card...........
--
Chris French, Leeds

Well I wasn't there that long and I did follow some "when in Rome" advice from an old hand who didn't get thrown in jail and neither did i. But this was some 20 years ago now and perhaps things have changed. Still it was quite an experience all the same....
--
Tony Sayer

Well, this week in Liege, the temperature has been about 2 degrees higher than in the UK every day. We laid a concrete base for a greenhouse on Thursday - now that was hot work !!!
--
geoff

writes

Yes well, the above was written before the Gravesend report came in the Heathrow one was earlier, when the original record was smashed..

--
Tony Sayer