Temperature record broken

Bit off topic but guaranteed to start more spiel on aircon but it sez on the seefax that Heathrow reports 37.4 c!...

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer wrote in news:VamWo6CUEkN$ snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

...which is normal blood temperature +/- a smidgeon.

So why does it feel so bl**din' hot?

Reply to
Norfolk Enchants

In article , Norfolk Enchants writes

Well its just said on the wireless that its now just gone past 100 F!.

Never mind, torrential floods in the back country reported, with 14 people hurt by lightning..

And the significance to UK DIY?. Too sodding hot to do anything!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Now claims to have reached 37.9C at Heathrow.

I'm about 20 miles from Heathrow, and I recorded a peak outdoor temperature of 37.5C at 16:11 this afternoon, since when it's been dropping.

My Loft got to 45.5C. Strangely, my loft has been hotter at 46.5 when outside temperature was only at 30.5, on August 4th. A significant factor in heating the loft is direct radient heat from the Sun which is now dropping as we move away from midsummer's day, which might explain why the effect is reduced from a week earlier, whereas a large factor behind the outside temperature is caused by sucking hot air from France.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Spellchecker, eh?

Hottest here today was 36.7. House rose to 22.5 in face of the onslaught.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Very rarely do I remember to.

Strangely, it's not actually so humid today -- my aircon is not generating any excess water as it's managing to evapourate it all in the condensor. When it is very humid, it doesn't manage to evaporate it as fast as it collects it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wimp. Built 20' x 3' of retaining wall, shifted about 3 ton of hardcore and fitted a loft ladder. Biggest bitch was the bricklaying, but nicked SWMBO's gazebo and worked under that. Best thing about diy in this heat is that your really appreciate the cold beers when you finish each job.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

You certainly did.

Reply to
IMM

Sorry to hear some of you wimps suffering in the heat but I've been wearing a jumper this week in anticipation of the 43 degs in Riyadh when I arrive Tuesday morning!

Now that my friends is hot and it will get hotter!

Steve R

-- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

Reply to
Essjay001

I don't need no stinkin vegies, I get all the contact with vegies I need just reading his posts! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Am amazed how difficult it is to find any historical data on temperatures. E.g. how hot was it the day Chelsea won the Championship in 1955? I've often wondered about the part the weather has played in world events. The Met Office seem to want paying for such highly sensitive information and the web sites I've looked at say that no historical data is available for London. Freedom of information my arse.

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble" wrote | Am amazed how difficult it is to find any historical data on temperatures. | E.g. how hot was it the day Chelsea won the Championship in 1955? I've | often wondered about the part the weather has played in world events. The | Met Office seem to want paying for such highly sensitive information and | the web sites I've looked at say that no historical data is available | for London. Freedom of information my arse.

Go to your local main public or university library. If they don't have bound copies of the local paper from the time ask for a national, which will probably be on microfiche.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You need to eat veggies.

Reply to
IMM

You don't live in Canterbury, do you? Or is it just the nature of things that tips get put next to sewage works?

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , tony sayer writes

Well, this week in Liege, the temperature has been about 2 degrees higher than in the UK every day. We laid a concrete base for a greenhouse on Thursday - now that was hot work !!!

Reply to
geoff

Exactly a year ago a similar large thread emerged called "Domestic Air Cooler", and your ignorance on the matter was so laughable. You were ripped to pieces. Have a Google and see. Such fun.

Reply to
IMM

In message , tony sayer writes

And don't forget the 'Get out of Jail Free' card...........

Reply to
chris French

temperatures.

Seems like a roundabout route to get hold of information in the public domain. I guess if I was *that* interested I'd take your advce :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , chris French writes

Well I wasn't there that long and I did follow some "when in Rome" advice from an old hand who didn't get thrown in jail and neither did i. But this was some 20 years ago now and perhaps things have changed. Still it was quite an experience all the same....

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes well, the above was written before the Gravesend report came in the Heathrow one was earlier, when the original record was smashed..

Reply to
tony sayer