temperature of hot water

Hi does anyone know if there is a legal requirement to limit the temperature of the hot water coming out of the taps in the toilet at a workplace. I am used to my 60 degrees C or thereabouts at home and have just started a new job. Turned the hot tap on and without thinking put my hands under the tap as was scalded as the water is about boiling point. Luckily no permanent damage apears to be done (quick relexes). When I mentioned it to the manager he said I should have been more careful. As I have just started I don't want to rock the boat but any advice or websites would be helpful.

Thanks Jackie

Reply to
Jackie

My office has *very* hot water in the ablebodied washrooms plus signs warning that the water is hot for hygiene reasons. The disabled facilities have blending valves limiting the temperature to something considerably cooler than the other washrooms. I don't think that your manager can avoid his responsibilities by the means you state.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

There are regulations in respect of hospitals/ care homes etc where the upper limit is 43C, only just hot enough for a bath...

IMHO there ought to be clear and visible warning signs for such hot water. But I don't know what the legal and/or H&S side has to say. It would be wise move to have such signs even if they aren't a legal requirement. A visitor with less responsive reflexes or even nerve damage that reduces their sensitivity to heat could easyly sue the company...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Record you burns in the Accident book. Consult your Union safety rep.

When the BBC was prosecuted for infecting people with Legionairs Disease, a lot of companies over-reacted and increased the temperature of stored water so as to kill-off any lurking legionella.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Dee

Give the HSE a ring, they are very helpful.

Andy Dee

It is recommended that the stored hot water is kept at 60 degC (HSE L8 document, Control of Legionnaires' Disease in Water Systems), at is dischargede at not less than 50degC within 60 seconds of turning on the tap, to prevent the proliferation of legionella and other nasties.

This is too hot for hand washing, but there would only be a duty to install thermostatic mixing valves at the outlets (i.e., water discharged at 43 degC max) in a facility used by 'at risk' persons, the old, very young or disabled. Most places put up 'Very Hot Water' signs.

If it is more than 60 degC, then they're wasting their money in making it too hot.

Reply to
Aidan

He sounds like a useless prat.

I suggest drugging his coffee, then, when he's soundly asleep, dragging him into the women's restroom, and insert a hose down his trousers. Connect the hose to the hot tap and arrange matters so that the next person through the door will turn the hot tap on. This would work well with leverarm taps, but you can improvise.

Later on, ask him what his opinion about hot water is.

Reply to
I'mMadMe

Hi,

Your employer should install a thermostatic valve (TMV) in the hot supply to the washbasins to limit the temperature, I doubt that shopping centres and hotels try to scald their customers.

The other option is to install an undersink hot water heater run from the cold supply that can be set to the right temperature.

If it's not a small company there should be someone responsible for facilities management who would get something done about it.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Strange, given that IIRC the Legionairs came from the air con system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman