Temp fix for damp wall ?

I I am painting a large interior wall on a barn converted house. On the chimney wall there there is a large (very large .. 50%) area of damp. The paint is not suffering, but feels sticky to the touch.

The previous decorator used stain blocker and it worked in the area he did it ........... even though the final emulsion coating looks lighter in colour there.

Chimney man is on his way to check at roof level etc.

Owner wants it painting now.

Before emulsioning ..

Options ......... ??

Use stain blocker (prob oil based undercoat) over complete wall.

A coat of PVA

A coat of SBR

I pointed out that they must find the cause rather than a complete bodge.

Would any of the above options hold back the damp in the short term ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

My experience is that wet plaster bleeds salts to the surface and lifts anything on it.

apart from tanking with waterproof mortar and re plastering, I have nothing to offer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No detail to allow working out why its getting damp. But generally if you imperviously paint a damp wall with no dpc, you stop the damp evaporating and it thus gets worse.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'd get it in writing if the owner wants the damp locking in there.

I'd scrape off the paint and give it a few months to dry out, maybe putting a permeable screen of hardboard or something with ventilation in front of it so it looks nice whilst it dries out.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

It more likely to hold and not peel, for awhile, if it breathes and is not sealed, latex breathes. The exterior needs to be fixed.

Reply to
ransley