Telewest Cable Box Removal

During the latest batch of DIY in the dining-room, the Telewest cable box feeding the house has become loose. I'd like to remove it, and re-fit in a more stable location but can't get the screws out. As telewest are now charging £75 per call-out, I'd like to do this myself if I can.

Previous searches have yielded that the screws used are system zero. However, RS have 3 bit sizes listed on their web site, and I'd ideally like to know which is the correct one!

Previous article here :

components here :

Order nos are : 542-122 for Machine M2-5, 542-116 for Machine M3-5, 542-100 for Machine M6. These are for bits to fit my drill (rather than the screwdrivers which are a bit more expensive).

Thanks for any replies!

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

Took me a while to find these but they're the right ones - I've tried them

or

I cant remember if its the 3.8 or 4.5 - buy both I did.

HTH

Lard.

Reply to
Lardman

Cheers! They also appear to be a good bit cheaper that the RS ones. How are they for delivery (if you know)

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

Next Day if ordered before 6:30pm. (assuming stuffs' in stock) they use UPS, I order stuff regularly never had a problem.Have a browse round the WWW site - it would be a shame to have to pay 5 quid handling for a 1.30 item. I think >30 quid is free.

Lard.

Reply to
Lardman

In article , L Reid writes

Christ what a bloody rip off. Tell them if they don't come and fix it you're off to Sky and they can then remove it!..

Reply to
tony sayer

RS is the same, though the item is 3 times the price each so I'm not too worried about the handling charge. Difference between £15 and £7 so happy! Might have a look around the website though.

Thanks again,

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

That's normally not that difficult. B-)

Funny everything I have ever ordered from CPC has been next day via Royal Mail. I'd be surprised if they use another carrier, their warehouse is bang next door to an equally massive PO Mail Centre in Preston. I've ordered past 1900 and have it on my mat 0930 the next day...

He he, CPC has a catalogue that is leathel to the health of ones wallet.

Yep, sliding scale below that at =A35 decrements and =A31 increment in handling up to =A34.99 @

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bah. Out of stock. Looks like RS could be getting my business. Might try phoning CPC first though.

Reply to
L Reid

Small, light items, yes.

They stopped using ParcelFarce a while ago. They use UPS now.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's normally not that difficult. B-)

These guys want £16 for the same item that's on the CPC site!

to shop around (though they might actually have one in stock!).

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

I changed to Telewest so that I could get broadband internet and they wanted

75 pounds to transfer my BT phone number. So guess who has a new phone number. Ron
Reply to
Ronald

Define "small". I've had boxes up to case of wine size via the PO admitedly these are sent "letter" post rather than Parcel Force (that doesn't arrive until 1630 up here). All fairly light, so I guess the real deciding factor between letter post and UPS is the weight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You might want to try local electronic component shops (if you have any) to save on postage/time. The local one here (H. Gee's in Cambridge) had both sizes in stock once I knew what to ask for.

David

Reply to
David Micklem

I take it that it's not something that Maplin will generally stock? Mind you, the last few times I was in Maplin after a few things (like a No 6 Torx driver) they didn't have any. Am I better to ask for a system zero bit rather than for a 'gamebit' (which is what the CPC ones appear to be)? And does anyone know whether it's the 3.8 or 4.5 mm bit that's required (I think the 4.5 is the same as the smallest bit from RS).

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

They knew it as a "Gamebit" but recognized it when I pointed to the System Zero one in the RS catalog. Maplin were/are useless. The screws I had (on a toaster) were 4.5, I found out by, um, measuring them. Can't you get at the heads with a ruler/calipers? Another of the advantages of the local shop - they said they'd be happy to exchange it for the smaller size if I had mismeasured.

David

Reply to
David Micklem

I'm probably being overcautious as I think the heads are 4.5 mm rather than

3.8 (though my eyesight's not what it used to be so .6 of a mm miight be too small a difference for me!). Will probably end up with the RS one as it's in stock now rather than on back order. Rs also have a trade counter in Glasgow so I might ask someone at my work to pick it up for me (though I don't know if these counters are maybe only for a/c customers only).

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

Phoned CPC to enquire about availability. Mid January, so looking for other sources of 'gamebit's. Found some on e-bay so might give that a try. Cost per unit is more expensive however p&p's 20% of CPC / RS.

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

In message , L Reid writes