Teletype or Facit 4070

We have backups of all parameters from our Fanuc 6`s taken with a laptop and a simple comms programme. Unless it`s an older Fanuc 6A which is doubtful in 1985 there should be no need for punched tape. We have a Facit punch and a teleprinter but they`re not needed. Beside the tape reader there are usually two sockets,one being RS 232.

Reply to
mark

It's also a DNC/Drip feeding issue of CAM generated code larger than the memory of the machine. The 6M cannot drip feed from the RS232 only from the tape reader, so it's either produce it on tape or find a BTR (behind taper reader) unit for less than the 500 squid people are asking!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The OP was for downloading parameters.

Reply to
mark

Feature-creep :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I was just going to suggest an Arduino...

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Huge writes

Oh, ok. This was admittedly several years ago and they did say at the time they didn't have space (though it's hardly big!). I'll try again.

Chap from Canada emailed me a while ago to ask if I knew anyone who would take his SuperBrain, but it would cost more to ship to the UK than it was worth.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

More for simplification really as the majority of readers of the group will not be into the intricacies of ancient CNC machines

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Did you try contacting Bletchley Park, or the National Museum of Computing?

's NMoC on the same site that you really want (and I remember meeting Huge when he dropped all his stuff off). The Park as a whole do own a handful of machines, but I don't know how good they are at passing on offers of stuff to the NMoC side (relations in the past have at times been rather political and strained :-)

Hmm, I'm in northern Minnesota these days, not too far from the Canadian border; I might be interested if he still has it, as shipping to me might be an option depending on where he is (sadly it's the road portions of shipping that are the expensive bit, so it may well be almost as expensive to get it to me as it would be all the way to the UK).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Blimey, was dat yoo?

That was a really good day - getting a demo of Colossus, seeing the bombe and having a wander round afterwards. Make little cold feet stamp up and down my spine - this is *Station X*!! Alan Turing worked *here*!!!!

Reply to
Huge

In article , Huge writes

Signed up as a member at BP last year but not yet managed to make it down there. These photos of the Bombe are fantastic:

may or may not be aware that 2012 is Turing's centenary year:

'll be attending this lecture next week:

finished reading Robert Harris's 'Enigma' in which Turing is only a peripheral figure. Not a very good book but it goes give one quite a vivid mental image of what it must have been like working at Bletchley Park.

M.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Jules Richardson writes

who ran the Stairway to Hell BBC software website.

ta.

I'll dig out the email tonight and ask him if he still has it, if so, can pass on your email address if you wish and you can sort it out direct with him.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed :)

Yeah, it's a good place - I do rather miss it. The politics would get more than a little frustrating, though! I think there were only ever 4 Colossi in H Block (perhaps it was 6) - but there were something like 10 in F Block (which stood where the grassy area below 'H' is. Must have been a very interesting place in its heyday.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Small world!

Reply to
Huge

Yes....I've been there many times and it still gets to me.

Been a member for 15 years now.

try reading 'Cryptonomicon'; Turing even turns up there for a bit, and it's a great book although not much BP in it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Amazon.uk only offers the German edition for the Kindle, but I suppose I could use the practice!

Reply to
Bob Martin

I meant dump the controller for something a bit more modern.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I bought mine long before the Kindle...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's a very capable controller and entirely adequate for the job. Implementing a four axis retrofit on something as specific as a wire edm machine is significantly more complex than, say, a 3 axis mill with a rotary

4th axis. Not only do you have to consider the linear motion of the axis but also the control of the current source which is 'servo' in the sense of feedback to the control, and the brake system that applies varying tension to the wire dependant on cutting characteristics.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

not sure if you are still interested but I just got one in. Adam 416 9906140

Reply to
hitechrecycling

go on, thrill us - how much $?

Jim K