Telephones and networks

So you are getting a lower sync rate than me (3.5 v 5(*) ish) but my line is three times the length of yours at 15,000' but underground... Overhead is not good for ADSL. I presume that sync rate is what it will maintain 24/7. What happens if it syncs at night?

(*) It's shit ATM 'cause BT have been ferreting in the joints and it takes a week to settle back down and for them to stop coming back fixing the faults they put on ferreting in the joints the first time... Fecking ali cable...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Opposite way round here, the wet screws up the sync rate. Nice long dry period is much better. But as you say getting Openreach via your ISP to fix such a fault is almost impossible unless the line has fallen below the FTR.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Gordon Henderson scribeth thus

No and seeing some ofd the people that Openwretch employ that is not surprising in the slightest from what I saw the other week!...

Reply to
tony sayer

At my last place we were about a mile from the exchange, and I got a rock solid 8Mb connection. Shame the same can't be said of here, where even 2Mb would be nice!

Reply to
John Rumm

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your information is comming from.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Given the state of the wires, I'm quite pleased with 7.5 - beats Pembury.

I was expecting worse

Reply to
Tim S

Jerome Meekings coughed up some electrons that declared:

It came from me, about 4 years ago when I was building NFS servers.

I topped out at about 2 and a bit gig actual useful bandwidth serving NFS using server grade Intel Pro 1000 cards (4 bonded) on a dual Xeon platform with 16GB RAM. That was after tuning the drivers, enabling interrupt coalescing etc, serving repeatedly from cache.

I expect Opteron hardware would have done better, but the busses in the servers I had available would never shift 10 gig.

None of my PCs here can even saturate a gig link - mostly because the inbuilt NICs are crap - but even so, consumer grade hardware just is not upto it.

What are you running, and where - that you have 100gig? Even at Imperial College, our link to campus was only 1 gig (possibly 10 gig now and we did have 10 gig links within the backbone of our dept - I left over 2 years ago) and the link to the London MAN wasn't much more than a couple of gig at the time.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

802.3ba is still a work in progress, I know Japan trounces the UK for fast internet access to the home, but how do you have access to 100Gb fibre?
Reply to
Andy Burns

Having a link at work in the low 10s I normally find that the limit is the web site at the other end. Many of them seem to be T1 (1.5mbit) - although the Beeb and Micro$oft go pleasingly fast.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The main sites that do downloadable stuff are a LOT faster than that..linux and other software downloads are generally as fast as my link allows.

And I noticed a DISTINCT improvement when I went from a 10Mbps hub/router to a 100Mbps switch for talking to the 'office server'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

He was talking about 100 gig, not 100 meg.

Reply to
Tim S

I know. So waht.. I was replying to the point that more than 10meg on the router was a waste. It aint. Not if its a hub..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am in Tokyo where 100gig fiber is usual and FWIW cost about 45pounds a month

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

You got it I'm in Tokyo and fiber or cable at 100gig is the current standard and is under 50 quid a month. I have had fiber for about a year now and that replaced 50gig ADSL (true 5gig)

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Any possibility of a link to a Tokyo ISP providing that service?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Jerome Meekings coughed up some electrons that declared:

You b*stard ;->

I suppose they need it for all those bukkake videos though, whatever they are...

However, I'll ask a different question - what is the fastest sustained bitrate you have managed to *one* of your PCs (that's user space bitrate, ie throughput on an open TCP stream?)

Do you use TOE (TCP offload engine cards).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Is it really that life changing those sort of speeds?..

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer coughed up some electrons that declared:

Or could it be that he's talking bollocks?

No-one on the planet has 50gbit/sec DSL, because it doesn;t exist.

Tim S

I can see providers such as

and asahi-net.jp offering

100Mbps fibre (approx 6000Y = 40GBP per month for single houses, about half price for apartment blocks) and 1Gbps copper (approx 5000Y = 30GBP per month for single houses, just over half price for apartment blocks).

But I can't see anyone offering 10Gbps fibre let alone 100Gbps fibre, are you *sure* you've not got your units mixed up?

Reply to
Andy Burns

ADSL is by definition not fiber.

Reply to