Telephone wiring

Yes. Assuming they can provide a pair all the way back to the exchnage.

Be nice a friendly, offer tea/coffee/biscuits and the chances are high, provided that he doesn't have to do much more than swap the old termination for the new one. If you start wanting cables run all over the place unlikely unless that is required for the new line. Of course if CW1308 is already fitted and properly installed he may fit a NTE on the end of it and make the connection to "your" cable for you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Given that NTE5 has screw terminals on the line side, why avoid them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Those aren't screw terminals, they're screwed clamps. The wire is held beneath a washer, forced down by a screw head.

The ones I'm advising against are the common DIY trick of mixing up phone cabling (solid core, IDCs) with alarm cabling (stranded, bare screw terminals)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you can get an engineer on site, and you're nice to them, then they'll often do almost anything you ask - including "forgetting" a couple of spare extension sockets.

It's years since I worked for BT, and I only ever worked on installs for a brief period as a trainee sprog. This was back in the golden period of a deregulated BT still with the ethics of the civil service. It was drummed into us that it cost the GPO a fortune to have us driving around all over the place and very little to actually be working on something useful. So our goal at all times should be happy customers who didn't phone up with new faults in the future - if that meant taking more time to do something right, or recognising that some buckshee extension work would inevitably be happening after we'd left and all concerned would be better off if it were done competently, then all manner of blind eyes were turned. Those days are gone, but there's stilll a basic attitude that making the job "a good 'un" is the right thing to do.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks guys, that's useful.

What's a CW1308?...

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

yep, forgot that, I appreciate the difference ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

BT spec twisted pair cable

Mark Carver

On 5 Jan 2006 05:23:31 -0800 someone who may be "jkn" wrote this:-

Some people really are too bone idle to find out anything for themselves, or give a good impression of being so. Asking stupid questions that can be easily answered simply discourages people from answering other questions.

tells these lazy sods all they need to know about this elementary piece of information.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

My original master socket plus an extension socket were fitted when I signed up for Micronet back in the early 80s. Last year I reported a fault which was eventually traced to a junction box a mile away but while the BT engineers were at the house they changed the master socket to a new one without asking and didn't so much as mention the fact that I had obviously shifted the wiring in a manner that would have required disconnection from the still existing oval junction box.

Incidentally I have had my outside line replaced twice. The first time after a tree surgeon dropped a branch on it and the second after the builders merchants lorry crane fouled it. It is now high enough to clear the crane and my neighbour has since had the offending tree felled.

Reply to
Roger

It's strange. Mine is the only road round here with telephone poles and overhead wiring - all the adjoining roads have underground stuff. I've often wondered why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for your intemperate reply. In fact my 'throwaway' question was mildly rhetorical, as if I were having a conversation with the previous helpful posters, and as soon as I'd posted it I went and did the google search you also suggest.

Don't necessarily take your first impressions so much to heart!

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn