Telephone via cat5

BT-plug-bearing

That's exactly what I've done too. Two cat5 to each room, patched to the phone system or network switch as desired. I used the adapters for the phones, but could just have easily crimped on an rj45 plug instead. It all works great - in fact there is less audible noise on the line now.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

In one sense that's a bigger market. I don't make many internal house-to-house calls. In a business that makes more internal than external calls, the argument for VoIP is less persuasive.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hmm, the big argument in favour is the ease of configuring VoIP compared to PABX. Big organisations seem to have their staff permanently on the move and "hot desking" is the order of the day. With VoIP they can move desk take the phone with them and just plug it in. It also gives much more whizzy choices in terms of conferencing, broadcast and of course in keeping down the weight of installed copper in a building.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Would it make any difference if I point out that I do have the proper tools and test gear for a Cat5 network ?

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Very true and thanks again Stefek

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

I don't see a problem. BT now often use Cat 5 cable at the exchange end anyway.

Reply to
G&M

What sort fo delay do you get with these VoIP thingies, is it constant or does it vary? Bearing in mind I find the delay on a GSM mobiles irritating.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK I stand corrected. I obviously misunderstood what the OP was doing and his level of expertise. Nevertheless making repeated comments such as "rubbish" is not very constructive.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

It varies and one client has problems with the line dropping mid call. OTOH a government building where I work at times appears to have faultless VoIP phones. I really can't tell the difference between their setup and PABX.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh my gawd.

Yes, I did a cost benefit analysis on all that crap some years back.

About 1000 a desk in a small office.

So we got a 500 quid panasonic hybrid PABX and stuffed 20 quid analogue phones on everyones desktop and told themn they wer paid to make and recieve phone calls, not foddle with uncessesary technology...

Far better productivity, no messy training needed, came out at a few grand instead of the 25k we were quoted, and ran over the structured cabling just as well..

Funny. If you use a standard PABX itdoesn;t need a router...

I'll come in and piggy back on that then. I could use a free high speed internet connection at someone elses excpense.

A firm I did some work for bemoaned the loss of productivity and expense of moving from Vt100/Unix systems to a PC on every desktop, NT server on every floor, and instead of one bloke loading software in his spare time, a 5 man MicroSnot support team costing about 1/4 mill a year to keep the whole lot functioning and repair the damage to desktops caused by idle fingers.

Or the time our oh so clever engineers went on holiday and diverted all their phones, forgot, came back, and harrased the recpetionist for misdirecting calls, and then called out the service engineers to see why the phones didn't work...

I spent today writing down a joblist in pink biro on a scrap of A4. Unlike a computer, it won't crash on me.

Technology for technologies sake is a complete and utter waste of money.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're welcome to try.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But any PABX from the post-Jurassic era lets you do just the same.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It varies.

Between effectively zero and Nildram (i.e. completely buggered) 8-(

Anyone care to pimp a new ISP for me ? Just bare wires ADSL needed, I already have my own servers and rentals for the other bits.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Without a doubt Clara. Pricey but superb.

Reply to
Grunff

I have an ADSL service from Eclipse Internet as an active backup to my main connection. I monitor uptime of the basic connection plus reachability of certain prefixes outside their AS and reliability is very good.

They also have a feature whereby you can buy a basic bandwidth for normal use, and then if you have a need for a higher one for a short while for large downloads etc. you can raise it yourself and drop it when you've finished.

Addressing is static and you can apply for additional space if you need it - a /28 was easy enough to get.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can get a tester (from TLC, IIRC) for about £15 that is sufficient to show if the wires are all connected and that each pin is connected to the same one at the other end. That's perfectly adequate for a one-off home installation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob
[11 lines snipped]

me too...

The local exchange finally got ADSL, so we're being dragged screaming out of the 1920s.

I'd like;

SMTP mail delivery Fixed IP address(es) Host DNS/domain name Administer own DNS Don't need web space/mailbox (Good) Usenet service

Reply to
Huge

See my post about Eclipse, Huge. Apart from the good reliability and consistently good bandwidth (delivered), they do not have silly restrictions on what you can do.

Certainly you can tun your own SMTP server.

Static IP addresses are standard and you can have additional space if you want it (a /28 was easy to get).

They do offer DNS hosting, which you can administer. I don't use them for that because I have another main ISP. I looked into DNS hosting options. My main domain name (hall.gl) was registered through Netnames with Tele Greenland and Netnames host it at present. The MX records in the DNS then point to my SMTP server. I can manage my DNS names at Netnames remotely, which has the advantage that I can easily change ISPs if I ever needed to without a lot of hassle. I am considering running my own primary DNS with a hosted secondary somewhere.

I haven't used Usenet with Eclipse but run a local NNTP server (DNEWS) which grabs only subscribed groups (wanted by users) rather than the whole thing. This grabs articles from various servers, the main one being the University of Berlin. It seems reliable and fast.

I also have a wireless DSL service from Tele2 (now owned by Pipex) and this is also very reliable, in effect giving me a great deal of redundancy and not being dependent on BT local loop.

Outages on either are pretty rare and between them, I have never had total outage.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mmm. Hard on ADSL unless you have fixed IP address

Yerrs. Demon possibly?

Once yoi have a fixed IP address you can do that yerself.

ditto.

Go seperate for that. Or run your own.

Really you are lookingmore at a leased line installatin for all that - it implies permannetly on line status.

Not sure if Clara do that on ADSL - but have a look - they are the best small to medium business operation around IMHO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, thanks. I've added them to the list.

Reply to
Huge