Telephone Question...

Strangely the cost works out about the same, and an PBX has a hell of a lot more features like call barring, hunt groups, call holding, call parking etc.

Also it's an training excercise for myself anyway, I want to start offering Voice + Data solutions to clients, so it makes sense to start off testing this sort of stuff myself.

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

"Alex Threlfall" wrote | My question (other than the comment about the lines into the pbx!) is | that on one of the extensions there's a bell box. Ideally, i'd rather | not waste an extension on it, and instead share it with the kitchen | phone, although as I type this I realise that it probably does actually | need to be on it's own extension (due to it needing to ring for external | calls only) so erm, well, does it need to be wired into a master socket | in some way?

Depends on the bell box. If it's an old one it may be low impedance and need conversion to high impedance. If you can see inside it you may see values written on the bell solenoids: 2 x 500 ohm is low imp, 2 x 2,000 or 2k ohm is high imp. If low imp, wire a 3.3k resistor (Maplin) in series with the bell solenoids. Disconnect the bells from any induction coils or circuit boards that may be in the bell box.

Take the bell solenoid wires to terminals 3 and 5 of a master socket on the extension. It can be shared with a phone subject to not overloading the REN of the PBX ringing generator.

If you are running short of extns you might be able to run the bell off the incoming line (that linebox you're going to fit, remember that BT line boxes are numbered backwards, so wire the bell into 4 and 2) and the bell will ring only on that line.

Info:

Owain

I know that. But most people only want the facilities that a 4 or 5 phone DECT system can provide and no pbx box taling up space.

Reply to
IMM

So why ask the frigging question if you know the frigging answer moron, the OP wants a PXB, he might even need a PXB - you come along thinking you are Gods gift to the group and know all the f***ing answers when really you know less than the local village idiot.

Reply to
Jerry.

About teh same amount as a DECT base station.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is different. No one bothered to ask what you wanted it for. A DECT system offers all the same facilities as a pbx, for home and small business.

Reply to
IMM

You obviously mean the Torygraph.

Reply to
IMM

PBX box taking up space? That's a good one.

Mine's about the size of a notebook PC.

They don't have Strowger switches and Uniselectors these days you know.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Which is a cradle for charging too.

Reply to
IMM

Still has to go somewhere with trailing wires, whereas a DECT phone system takes none up at all. Each phone has a charger cradle and the base station is integrated in the charger/cradle.

You only buy a pbx if you actually need one, otherwise go DECT.

Reply to
IMM

And may be sited anywhere.

But you've got to remember that IMM isn't capable of doing any wiring - as well as plastic plumbing, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You must be very short of space in your place. Is it because of the insulation or having two of everything?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You don't need to charge extensions on a PBX.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

"Andy Hall" wrote | They don't have Strowger switches and Uniselectors these days | you know.

Sad, isn't it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No it doesn't. Multi handset DECT systemss (certainly not anything that I've seen) do not offer call barring, hunt groups, hold, redirection, logging. CTI,......... all of which are applicable to home and small business use.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No one wants another piece of needless electronics to put somewhere with masses of trailing cables. It is bad enough with the TV/DVD/Video

Reply to
IMM

A DECT will offer the basics most people would ever want.

Reply to
IMM

Mmm.

When I was a kid, we lived across the road from a telephone exchange that was just so equipped.

In the summer, they would have the windows open for extra ventilation and you could hear the rata-tata-tat sounds which would of course be greatest mid morning and afternoon and again for a while after 6pm.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It all started going down hill when they fitted dials. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the facilities are needed for home or small business use, then it is not needless.

If located and wired properly (mine's in the loft), then there are no trailing cables.

It is also possible to house and wire home entertainment equipment quite neatly with care.