Telephone master socket

May seem a silly question, but is there a 'standard' fixing height for a BT master socket? Of course BT originally screwed it to the skirting, and the skirting is going to be replaced, so it's time to put the socket in the right place.

Reply to
Grumps

Nope, stick it where you like.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It should be installed at a height so that you can't quite reach it by leaning over the back of the sofa.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Aligned with the electrical sockets looks best.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My old BT one is about 2 feet off the ground, in line with the windowsill.

Reply to
sandydog

I see you can get flush mounting ones now, so it seems sensible to put it in line with the mains sockets; which I've just done. Now to replace the skirting.

Reply to
Grumps

All user accessible sockets are supposed to be within 450mm and 1.2m of the finished floor, so cripples and old ladies can reach them.

Its a building regulation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not for a BT line it ain't. :-) it can be positioned anywhere the person chooses. However this is normally left to the discretion of the engineer.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

IIRC this only applies to sockets etc in a new build/part build, not to individual new fittings in an existing install.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Strictly it does, but who is to tell?