Telephone Experts Please - Part 2

So the phone is fed off the PABX rather that direct off the line via a filter?..

If so what sort of PABX is it?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Anywhere depends with ADSL on the distance from the exchange so not a terribly valid statement. Course country dwellers are more likely than not to be some distance from said x-change....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Dennis .. your avoiding the question;!...

You sure about that then?..

Care to name a few phones that do that?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Got a reference for that please?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Panasonic KXT64

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oddly enough, that's not always true.

Small villages WITH an exchange get good speeds.

Its the villages fed by the adjacent village's exchange, that suffer.

Whereas in suburbia it just sprawls along for miles..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not rapidly, no. It was a paper I read on line..

highly technical and deeply boring..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No you are avoiding the answer.

No. Care to list all those that don't? And to what level of don't you are working to.

Reply to
dennis

It would be true.. its crosstalk that limits what BT can stuff down the lines. Being a service where BT are not allowed to discriminate they have to adopt a frequency plan that gives everyone equal access. The frequency plan is what stops anyone putting higher speeds than ADSL2+ down the line. There is kit that will put 50+M down the line but you could only do that with a fraction of the pairs in a typical cable, with the frequency plan you can, in theory anyway, put ADSL2+ down all the pairs.

You may also note that even with the crosstalk induced ADSL signals in the lines of people without ADSL they don't need filters on their phones to eliminate noise.

Reply to
dennis

I think sometimes you have a bit of an issue with these folk who might be described as "townies";!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Most are .. both of those..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Nope you said that phones have transmitters in them. We were talking about ordinary bog standard phones not cordless ones..

Reply to
tony sayer

Define ordinary bog standard phones then. And we were talking about phones, no distinction between mechanical, push button, or cordless. It could even have included FAX and sky boxes as they plug into phone lines and frequently don't have the filters fitted as people don't think of them as phones.

Reply to
dennis

This always seems such a stupid approach, site your router near the master socket and use a 'plug in to the master socket' filter, then the rest of the phones in the house remain unchanged and there's no need for silly little filters all over the place.

Just a general comment, not specific to the case in question where the quick fix probably was one more filter.

Reply to
tinnews

Wasn't the microphone part of a phone once referred to as the transmitter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends. Before wireless routers, that would mean running cable to the computer. So for many it's easier to just fit a filter to each phone. Unless you're one of those who can't hear the noise, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any idiot knows what one of they are ;!...

course you can hear an audio hiss on a sky box now?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed its the way I normally do them...

In this particular case the master socket was on a different floor and there were only two sockets in total. So plug in filters were cheaper and easier.

Reply to
John Rumm

Assuming your local cell(s) are not affected by the said power cut. Most cells only have minimal, if any, power backup. Mobiles are a convience and should not be relied upon, even when it's only tiny bits of shit hitting the fan.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus

Well in say around 15 years I can only remember one serious outage in these parts and that was a system wide failure of the network switching centre.

Course BT can have outages from time to time especially when a Mr Pikey is around;(...

Reply to
tony sayer