Telephone Experts Please - Part 2

Yes I do know that. But that is a problem with the phone, not the line or the ADSL or the filter. You may reduce the ADSL signal and broadcast radio break through by fitting the filters but it will never be quiet even without the ADSL.

It will also be cheap to fit well designed electronics that reject the noise.

IME phones that are badly designed and are susceptible to noise also radiate the noise and can reduce broadband performance by a lot.

Try telling that to TNP, ADSL appears to be well beyond his ability to understand.

Reply to
dennis

I never said it hadn't happened to me, see below.

So send it back and tell them to fix it.

Reply to
dennis

Humm .. don't get this on our dodgy naff Virgin Media connection yer know;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

How exactly do they radiate noise then ?.

What noise, frequency range and bandwidth and power?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Not right Guv...

Yeabut your miles from there and out "there" too so ;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

What Router make and model is that then?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I'd suggest you look at basic phone design. If you could understand it. It shows why a high level RF signal on the line appears within the audio band.

Right. So the same phone filtered became useless? perhaps you should get in touch with the filter makers - they'll be delighted to act on your findings.

Thanks for making it obvious you've never looked at the phone circuits in use at the introduction of broadband.

Given the cost of a filter versus a new phone...

How wrong you are as regards the primary purpose of the filter at the start of broadband.

Did BT insist you get a new handset when ADSL was installed? No? Have you ever wondered why?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The same way as anything else, bits of circuitry/wire acting as aerials + capacitive coupling + loads of other ways.

Or did you mean how do they generate it? That would include cr@p DC-DC convertors, transmitters, etc. Even the microprocessors can generate noise.

Your guess would be as good as mine. If you have a particular phone in mind you could measure it.

Reply to
dennis

Stop being obtuse, you know perfectly well what I said.

Ah so we are talking antiques now.

No, that is why it was there. You couldn't sell broadband if it broke every time there was a call.

No, I never had to wonder why, its fairly obvious why.

Reply to
dennis

You couldn't sell it at all with that dreadful noise on the phone. Hence every router coming with at least one filter. When it was introduced, mobile phones weren't the main phone in use unlike today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The first thing is to methodical and systematic. Only change one item at a time otherwise misleading symptoms may confuse the issue. Plug a phone that you know to be working satisfactorily into the test socket (The one behind the removable faceplate) without any filter then dial 17070 and select option 2 (Quiet line test) that enables you to listen to the incoming line for any extraneous noise. If that test is satisfactory then you need to try each piece of equipment in turn to isolate the problem. You might try each filter in conjunction with the phone plugged directly into the test socket.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Such as?..

In a phone?, do tell more..

That much RF noise?..

And thats prolly the best it is your guess;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Any of the 4 I have tried.

It's low level, and perhaps others don't notice it.

But my phones are quality and PABX fed, so I do...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The main function of an ADSL filter is actually to prevent ADSL signals from being crapped on by domestic equipment that represents a dead short, or worse at RF frequencies. It should not be called a filter at all..its more a frequency sensitive splitter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite.

?

It isn't. Its the phone LINE that is doing that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It isn't a dreadful noise. Its a low level hiss.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Studies show that the main cause of interference is other peoples ADSL, with LW and MW broadcasts being the second highest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I get a steady 3dB variation on about 1.5 miles

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On the contrary, I understand it intimately.

I also know what's happens to a broad RF spectrum when you run it down anything non-linear.

I dint spend 20 years doing audio and RF desing without learning something..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I am happy with my 4.5Mbps speed at the moment.

Which is better than many get inside cambridge....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher