Telephone Answering Machines

I've bought a new John Lewis branded digital cordless telephone with answering machine (Model JLJAS0943 Trio) to replace an ageing and flakey Philips Zenia system, but find that the new one won't stop recording when the caller has hung up after leaving a message. Nor will it stop recording should the caller decide not to leave any message at all.

Instead, it will continue on recording until the preset max call duration setting kicks in and ends the call. (Currently set at 2 minutes)

This strange behaviour did not exist with my old Philips answering machine, which continues to behave faultlessly in this respect.

I am also using all the cables supplied by the new telephone system, as I notice that the number of wires in the plugs which connect to the base stations from the wall point are not the same. However, both cables work flawlessy with the old phone, but neither will make any difference to the new phone!

Anyone got a clue as to what is causing this, please?

Cheers

Reply to
saka

In message , saka writes

It's new, it's not working probably, presumably the JL one is faulty (if not, then it's not fit for purpose anyway). Return it for a replacement or a refund.

Reply to
chris French

In message , saka wrote

Bad design. Return it as unfit for purpose.

You may find that you have to go through a few models to find exactly all you want. As you purchased it from John Lewis you can check how well the salesman knows the product range :)

Reply to
Alan

In article , chris French writes

I'd say try it in the master socket, then if the behaviour is the same, take it back for a refund. Note a refund, not an exchange, as you can always purchase another and repeat the loop but if you accept a replacement which exhibits the same fault on your wiring then the exchange notes on your receipt may complicate matters.

Reply to
fred

There may be settings in the menus to enable/disable VOX/Voice/Tone detection of the network initiated clearing signals, which will be NU tone of 3-20s, and/or silence of 0-30s, as well as an end-of-call signal (K-break) of 90-130ms.

Otherwise you may need to ask BT to adjust the presentation of network initiated clearing signals to your line.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

Owain, I can't find anything in the Settings menus which resembles your examples.

The Line Settings offered are: a. Modifying Network Type (i.e. Public or Private(PABX): Public is default) b. Modifying the dialling mode: (i.e. Tone or Pulse: Tone is default) c. Modifying the Flash Duration (R Key): I gather this is for use only when connected to a PABX or when used in a foreign country and trying to correct problems making outgoing second calls or conference calls. d. Setting a PABX prefix: (N/A as am on a public line at home) e. Setting Caller ID

There is another setting which the manual recommends, and that is to set the Country Code "in order for the telephone to operate correctly". So, I entered the number 44, which I believe is correct for the UK, but no difference whatsoever.

And that's it.

I have now spoken with JL Customer services and they want to contact the manufacturer first. They did ring me back but wanted to know who manufactured the phone?!! Was it Binatone or iDect, she asked?

How da hell am I supposed to know, I replied, completely non-plussed. It's got John Lewis stamped all over the box and equipment and even the handsets display the name John Lewis when you switch them on. So with that, she made her excuses and promised to get back with a more definitive solution. I am now certain that I shall reject the goods and ask for a refund instead, as my confidence in their ability to sort this out otherwise is rapidly waning.

Cheers.

Reply to
saka

Not at any reputable supplier and certainly not at JL, I would expect.

Tesco let me try 2 different LCD TVs before I decided on a refund (the backlight was visibly bleeding through into the screen on dark scenes on both examples).

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The other phone works in the expected way so it's unlikely to be a telecom setting.

When I was looking around for an answerphone I came across some very poor designs and soon realised that you had to find the manual on line for determine the operation of the call screening facilities (assuming that the answer phone had them).

Reply to
Alan

8<

Yes, my thoughts too.

Have now decided to keep the phones, as for £30, I really cba packing it all up again and sending it back. So, have decided to keep the old ansaphone unit as the main answering machine, turn the new one off, and just use the new handsets to do the talking bit with! (I have 3 telephone points so can connect the two base stations simultaneously).

Online shopping eh, don't you just love it! ;-)

HNY, everyone!

Reply to
saka