Telegraph pole stay

Cables go in four directions.

I've pondered this overnight and I think I have the answer.

My guess is that the stay is not there to resist the pull of the cables. It's there to support the pole when a ladder is placed against it. You lean the ladder against the side where the stay is.

If that's so, a new stay at 180 degrees to the old one might be a good solution. But I'm now somewhat more cautious, thinking that the safety of a BT "engineer" might be at stake.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You would be very foolish to interfere with the stay, or get anyone else to, without BT's written agreement. They have much deeper pockets than you do!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Hmm, I would have thought that there would be more than enough buried pole to resist any small lateral loads imposed by a ladder.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indeed. The changes to the electricity poles I mentioned in another reply have left what used to be an electric pole now solely BT. BT want £200 to come and look at it and even begin discussions about it.

Hey-ho. The trench they COULD have put their cable down has been filled now, and they've admitted they have no wayleave over my land.

Reply to
Adrian

Humm... Do you think that stay could move in the night perhaps;?.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Mind you its often surprising what those olde Pikey boys can do when there're after nicking a bit of copper phone wire isn't it;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Mike Barnes scribbled...

You're out in the sticks, no one gives a flying f*ck where you put your bins.

Reply to
Artic

I would say both the pole and stay are in the verge. The position of your own gate/wall probably indicates the boundary of your property. The bit btween your gate and the road is the verge and not yours. The council will have definative drawings if the highway has been widened in the last hundred years or so. Or See if you can establish the width of the verge elsewhere where it is better defined (eg where there is another wall next to the verge.) You will likely find it is the same as your bit of wall. A metre wide /yard is common in rural areas.

5m in reecent constructions.
Reply to
harryagain

You can't use rules of thumb like that. He could well own everything to the centre of the road, and edge of the the adopted highway could be anywhere between the edge of the tarmac and the garden wall, or anywhere else.

The local highways authority doesn't have to own the land that its adopted highways travel over, and the width of the adopted highway is not automatically garden-wall-to- garden-wall.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

PC Crosland quivered:

--Peter Crosland/quiver

Surely you would be extraordinarily stupid to get caught or admit to knowing anything about it, even if anyone ever noticed ever?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

A giant corkscrew, if having the poles in my garden changed was anything to go by. We decided where the stay should go, then he drove it in with a hydraulic motor attachment on the 6x6 Unimog he was using.

Reply to
Huge

There are 11 phone poles down my drive supporting phone cables (not power). None of the are stayed, except where the line goes round a corner (and not always then.)

Reply to
Huge

just curious that they are still called Telegraph poles. How long is it sin ce we used telegraphs.

Round here we call them Telephone poles.

I would agree with their method of erecting them. A slop of concrete at the bottom of a hole does very little. I prefer to dig the hole deep enough an d wide enough to allow me get some various stones around the post as I back fill, Effect somewhat similar to strengthening concrete with gravel. We pu t up post and rail fencing using this method 25 years ago and its still sol id

Reply to
fred

If the cable loads on each side are equal-ish, no stay needed. The stays counteract the cable loads.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Huge writes

I once *hedge trimmed* a stay on an 11kV corner post! Very surprising how much the poles bent and how quickly a repair team were on site.

No charge on that occasion:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , tony sayer writes

I'm sure a new anchor point could go in anytime (carefully located so that there would be little or no change in the stay length), reducing the duration of any night-time activities.

Reply to
fred

presume the cables were a bit heavier than phone wire?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Do "deeds" have any significance nowadays? I have the Land Registry map which shows the location of the property with a red border but that's not particularly precise.

I also have a title document dated 1811 (hand-written on parchment, wax seals, etc, with a Land Registry tag) which says "bounded [...] by the highway or road". But I have no idea whether "highway or road" would include any verge.

I'm not sure how relevant all this is now, but I'm interested. Not interested enough to pay a solicitor, though. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No, the stays are there to counteract the weight and pull of the cables.

And that, my friend, is the crux of the matter. If you really must have it moved, don't be tempted to do anything silly during the night or to do something surreptitiously - do it officially and properly by contacting BT. You don't know the condition of the part of the pole that's in the ground and anything could happen.

Reply to
Steve

I don't even want to consider what the preservatives on these things is - but the poles that were removed from here the other day - after 51 years in the ground - were _perfect_.

The new ones _stink_...

Reply to
Adrian