Technics CD player - intermittent no play fault...

Nice inherited 1980s? Technics hifi system with seperate CD player.

Some days CD starts right up and plays anything fine - other days won't play a thing - not even moving/turning the CD....some ticking noises evident until it gives up trying to read (maybe)?!!?

Any thoughts as to what could be up and wheter worth a try to fix?

TIA Cheers JimK PS No I don't want to take it to a hi-fi professional......:>)

Reply to
JimK

My Sony did that (similar vintage). Fitted a new head (fairly easy - £15 off E-bay) Solved the problem

Reply to
John

JimK brought next idea :

That ticking is the head trying focus and find a track. Probably the laser is weak, but it might be worth cleaning the lens. You can buy replacement heads, but installing is a delicate job.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

supposed to look for tracks/index etc without spinning the disc up then? seems a bit of odd somehow?

ta JimK

Reply to
JimK

JimK brought next idea :

I'm not sure whether they look for evidence of a CD first (focus), or spin the disk first. There used to be a rather good web site with repair FAQ's on electronics items, part of which covered CD players and their repair.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I seem to recall my ancient laserdisc player checks that it can focus things first (and does a little step-dance with the head if it can't) before it even thinks about powering the spindle motor up.

Maybe some CD players don't do this, but I'm sure that there are also some that do :)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Adrian C

Yes - they look for a reflection before spinning. The noise is the lens hitting the disc as it tries to focus - but overshoots. Weak laser.

Reply to
John

My replacement laser was from:

was easy to fit although hard to get to on my mini system.

See if they can identify the correct replacement.

Reply to
John

Maybe clean the lens, airborn pollution has to have an effect. One unit I blew out with compressed air, that fixed it, try air first. CD players are so cheap, is it worth repairing.

Reply to
ransley

not commercially no but it's original probly better quality than it's "engineered dwon to a price" replacement and surely must be worth a diy go before I skip it especially if blasts of air can cure?

Thanks to all for links and advice so far

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK