Tazer usage

Our local news channel has been running a report about police using tazers. It struck me that wearing metal foil sandwich material clothing would very effectively short circuit the charge being delivered by the device. Was Den Heggarty of The Darts a style leader in his Baco foil suit?

Reply to
johnjessop46

No, you're thinking of Gary Glitter. And Bacofoil's no good as it's too easily torn. You want chain mail for that.

50 years ago I used to make my own tasers and take them to school for a laugh, giving the other kids shocks - and nobody got killed! How come all this harmless fun like we had back then is now regarded as akin to terrorism? Kids today are growing up in shit times.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Nay lad!, kids these days wouldn't know how to make one anyway!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Actually there was a news item a few months ago where the in the US their was this drunk woman causing havoc, and they tazered her several times with no effect, and ended up just having to use a lot of burly cops. So a skinful of alcohol might well also work! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspect a thick layer of subcutaneous fat offers much greater protection than a skinful of alcohol.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ok it's not baco-foil but it is shiny.

soup
.

We had a local chemists shoppe like that in Rose Crescent Cambridge and the two of them in there were proper chemists. The sort of balding, horn rimmed white coat ones. They did advise which err, "substances" did or didna oughta be carried home on the bus;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I remember a wonderful old-style proper chemist like that from the early

70s in Tun Wells, just as you describe. He would (reluctantly) furnish me with any acid I asked for, which he went round the back and prepped himself. In all my visits I don't recall any other customer coming in during those preps. Magic times indeed. Thank god back then I was unaware of hydroflouric acid or I probably wouldn't be here now.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Why, are you gluten intolerant?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Eh??

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You wrote hydro-flour-ic instead of hydro-fluor-ic. Flour contains gluten etc...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Which is the one that dissolves your bones? :-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

HF

Reply to
Tim Watts

Get the pH right, and any acid will dissolve bone, given time. That's why skeletons don't survive in acid peaty soils.

The problem with HF is not particularly that it will dissolve bone, but when it eats into your skin and the tissue underneath, the burns don't heal, and require injections of a magnesium salt into the wound to precipitate the fluoride and render it inactive.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It also tunnels into the bones if unchecked. Very nasty stuff.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom