Tavern Grade Oak and refitting a floor

We're looking to remodel our kitchen, and would like to take the majority of the fiitted units out.

The plan is that we remove any fitted units from one wall (the longest and most visible from the dining room), replaster and finish off the wall and floor nicely, and then just buy freestanding pieces that we like the look of.

The floor seens to be approx 3/4 thick oak ("tavern grade" according to a spare bit), fixed to thick battens of some kind. Unfortunately the floor doesn't make it all the way to the wall in question, so we'll need to patch it up.

There's quite a bit of spare flooring, perhaps even enough to complete it, so the idea is to pull up the old floor, mix in the old and the new and adjust as necessary, fill where required and sand and seal it.

Is this a reasonable approach?

I'll be employing professionals for most of it, limiting myself to donkey work and general stuff that even I should have difficulty in ballsing up. I plan on getting a belt sander to renew the surface and filling in a lot of holes (I realise that tavern grade is just about the bottom of the heap as far as quality is concerned - but we quite like the unevenness).

Failing that, what could I expect to pay if I need to renew it with oak of a similar thickness? The kitchen is easily 5m x 3m.

Reply to
seani