Tassimo coffee maker blocked

As there seems to be an expert on just about everything on here does anyone know how to 'mend' a Tassimo coffee maker that has very suddenly started to spit and make a few disgruntled noises but isn't sending water through? It doesn't say in the manual. No sign of this problem on Google apart from two people asking how to solve it.

Poked the end nozzle, and the starter one but to no avail. Don't want to dump it if possible.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Limescale?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So how would i get the descaler into the tubes? There's only a base inlet and no way of pumping it through?

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Don't know the machine, but if water gets in, then so can a solution of descaler. Does it have a water reservior? If so. fill that with descaler & run the machine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Janet

perhaps a store proprietary brand.

Maybe a daft question but presumably you're in a hard-water area? If so, it's highly likely to be the cause; if not, then it isn't likely at all...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Good point. You can get an idea here

& click Test Your Water Quality.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Like those of us who live in hard water areas don't see enough results?

Reply to
Rod

Hmm, just tried it for our area and it says moderate hardness and to use Calgon in every wash - we actually have extremely soft water, so much so that I've been involved in the design of dosing systems in the past to add chemicals to stop the water dissolving lead pipes throughout the region!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

What else do you expect them to say? They want to sell their product!

Reply to
Bruce

That's what I suspected before I even looked at their site and why I did so.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Modern economy wash temperatures don't get hot enough to deposit scale. I've had my washing machine in hard water areas for 22 years, and its element has never built up any hard water scale.

I do get a deposit which looks a bit like scale on my dishwasher element (which heats up much hotter that the washing machnine). However, it's not at all soluable in descaler, so I suspect it's something related to the detergent. It's a bit of a pain as it falls off and eventually blocks the wash arm jets.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Same here - cheeky buggers!

Is there anyone reading this anywhere in the country who gets less than 'moderate' out of it?

David

Reply to
Lobster

They "don't have any records" for my postcode or a couple of Edinburgh ones so maybe that is their answer for the very soft water areas.

Reply to
Geo

My old Cornish postcode (TR7 xxx) returns a 'Low' result - all that granite, I suppose.....

but it's just possible that the Calgon people could be a little biassed ??

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

It gives soft here, but still recommends their product.

Reply to
<me9

Does anyone else wonder about this Calgon advertising? We live in a well hard water area and I've never had a washing machine break down because of limescale.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 00:07:36 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote (in article ):

I used to live in Hampshire where the water was extremely hard. We destroyed several coffee machines due, I imagine, to lime-scale build-up - nothing would shift it. The only solution that actually worked was to use a brand of bottled water (I forget which one) with a particularly low calcium content.

Eventually I got fed up with it all and went back to the old fashioned jug method (which makes much better coffee and there's nothing to go wrong).

Reply to
Mike Lane

replying to Janet Tweedy, MacMan wrote: I just spent an hr tonite clearing my daughter's 5 yr old Tassimo. The problem was that no coffee was coming out the end nozzle but was spilling to the side and leaking from under the unit it seemed. Turns out the narrow 3-4 mm tube that goes from where the cartridge goes to the end nozzle that is positioned over the cup is clogged with a densely caked/impacted coffee particles. I used an opened paper clip end to scrape and loosen the deposit and used a spoon to flush it out once I made a hole in the deposit which had been completely clogged. I put a paper towel to catch the water and loose particles. Took a full hour to get nearly all of it out, amazing how much had accumulated in that small volume. Next time I'll try it with a tiny steel brush pipe cleaner which I hope will be a lot faster, also an eye dropper to help rinse out the particles. Unit now works perfectly, only distilled water is used in the unit as the tap water is quite hard.

Reply to
MacMan

I wonder how often it was cleaned as recommended in the manual.

Reply to
Bob Eager