Tarmac Renovation

Hi,

Is there anything that can darken tarmac again and won't peel off?

Thanks,

Ed.

Reply to
billshatner71

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

How much tarmac? Half a motorwaysworth or just a few square yards?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Dark glasses? Actually, I often wondered what it is that used to make it go grey to start with. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tarmac is stone & bitumen with filler dust. It does degrade in time. The only way to stop fresh bitumen peeling off is to make it a deeper layer. Bitumen alone wears off, is the stone that stops it wearing further.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Dust and either detritus (from soil, skin, dead vegetation etc)?

Interestingly, last week on the radio, someone asked, "What happens to the all rubber which wears off vehicle tyres?" The opinion was that it becomes dust, and gets blown away by the wind and/or washed away by the rain. However, I would have expected roads, soil, buildings etc to be slowly becoming black - and there is little sign of this happening. Surely it doesn't all end up at the bottom of the sea?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Commercial vehicle operators have a constant problem with "traffic film" when washing vehicles.

Traffic Film consists of general dirt, unburnt fuel, oil, rubber dust etc. All more or less oil based, stuck to oil based paint, while the vehicle is moving, thus adding a static charge.

Bugger to get off even with a HPC.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought that the tar oxidised? And when so affected it changes towards the grey.

And the issue of tyre dust is potentially very significant to health with the very fine particles suspected of causing lung issues. And, indeed, question marks over its effects on those who suffer from latex allergy.

Reply to
polygonum

You can buy bitumen emulsion and apply with a cheap throw-away broom which should smarten it up for a while. It should not peel off but will eventually revert to grey.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

| Before surface water run-off from the A1(M) reaches the pond it is | routed into an oil separator which allows oil and oil based pollutants | from the road to be removed.

| The ponds also act as a sedimentation pond collecting the road dirt | washed off the road and allowing it to settle-out. Road dirt is | removed by dredging the pond every few years.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

it's for a driveway, about 30 feet long and 9 feet wide.

Thanks. Ed.

Reply to
billshatner71

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

The reason I asked was I'm a great believer in turning adversity into an advantage, and I'm recalling what happened when I spilled a tin of white paint* on a tarmac driveway. Despite immediate attempts to remove it wash away what remained, the white splash was still very visible many years later. Now if it had been black paint....... (if you get what I mean).

*Can't recall whether it was oil, polyurethane, emulsion, water-based acrylic etc, but it certainly (literally) left its mark.
Reply to
Ian Jackson

Must not forget brake pads either. Full of metallic content which binds to alloy wheels amongst other things.

Reply to
Part Timer

Blood?

Reply to