Tar on slates.

We have 600+ roof slates, with patches of tar on them. We can get most off with a scraper, but have some stubbon bits. Any ideas how I can get 400 of them clean?

I am happy to loose some on the way.

I have tried heating the tar, by the time it comes off, the slate is popping, and bits are firing at me.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Can you not turn them over and use the clean face ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

=================================== Petrol or paraffin used as a solvent should work. Try a few slates to see how well it works before committing yourself to buying a 45 gallon drum of paraffin.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The edges are tapred so I can't use the opposite face

Reply to
Rick

Industrial cleaning plant? dry cleaners?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dry cleaners?

That's a plan, my local has a '3 for the price of 2' offer on just now.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Steam cleaner?

Reply to
Mj

Soak in paraffin until you can brush off then rinse wash in washing up liquid and water.

Reply to
keith_765

slate is

GUNK as used to clean sticky oil off car engines emulsifies oils and grease - a good long soaking may do the job

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Very good solvent based tar removers are available, Screwfix do one, but their site is down so I can't paste a link.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman