Taps

Before I "splash" the cash... Has anyone purchased taps over the web from www.tapshop.net?
Cheers Steve
Stephen Williams wrote:

Yes, I think I got my kitchen mixer from them. Cheapo, not too bad. Biggest problem was the threaded parts were not large enough to go compeletely through a worktop - i.e. it was designed for a stainless sink, not Belfast.
Quality good for price, but not ultimately THAT good. Good finish, slightly loose bearings. One seating slightly naff since it needs to be screwed down rather harder than the other to stop drips.
If on a budget, highly recommended., If going for absolute quality and prepared to pay the price, try elsewhere.
But that was a single example.
Delivery was fast, and service good.

Thanks for the replies, bearing in mind the comments how about: Amber Bathrooms at www.bathroom-tap.co.uk they give a "no quibble guarantee" on taps and mixers, including ceramic disc valve taps.
Steve
Stephen Williams wrote:

Haven't used this particular company, but it looks like they do mostly Tre Mercati stuff. We have recently changed all our taps to lever type ceramic (SWMBO has a problem with grip) and used Tre Mercati ones. Quite happy with the taps anyway. Although I can see TNP's point about quality, if you are comparing them to much more expensive taps, they are better than the stuff in the sheds ;)
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

We fitted ceramic taps last time we did the kitchen and never would again. After they had been in a couple of years they started to drip like mad, and the plumbers merchants say you can't get new disks as they are meant to last forever. One of them said that if I took the taps in they would try and find a disk to match.
John
--
John Rouse

John Rouse wrote:

There are mixed opinions of ceramic disc taps, especially in hard water areas, but at least Tre Mercati do spares...
I'm not going to defend ceramics, but the kitchen mixer has been in for more than 2.5 years without a problem, unlike the previous "steel ball with hole" mixer which dripped after a year.
Time will tell if changing the rest of the taps to ceramic was a bad move...;) They do currently perform the job they are asked to though, namely very low torque fingertip operation, without extended levers or excessive movement.
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com