Taping down Underlay?

Hi, picked a livingroom/hall carpet from CarpetRight (actually a decent price, no local independants were anywhere close on price). Aware that they rip you off on sundries when doing fitting, so I want to ensure the best I can, that I have all the stuff they need. have ensured I have gripper stips and door bars, and I supplied my own underlay (Cloud 9 Super Contract).

I will be ensuring that the Carpetright fitters don't do any shortcuts. What Should I be checking they do?

I also spotted in the underlay, the following "As with all underlays cloud

9 seams should be taped to prevent them parting and/or allowing dust to rise through the floorboards and soil the carpet".

I have never heard of taping underlay before (the current stuff is cheap and nasty, and it's stapled down to hold in place.). Do all carpet fitters tape seams? Is it reasonable to expect Carpetright fitters to do so? And if so what sort of tape should I be buying in advance.

Thanks.

Reply to
MarkG1234

carpet tape

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Very clever, but the only stuff I have found is double sided, which clearly isn't what I want.

Reply to
MarkG1234

Did the same at our last place and when the Carpetright fitters arrived the y complained about my having taped the underlay to the floor with double si ded tape and that I'd closed the joins as well with single sided. They said they'd never seen that done before. They also tried to tell me I'd laid th e underlay upside down and that they always put it the other way - I showed them the instructions both online and which came with the packaging and al l was, begrudgingly, well. Because this stuff is so much thicker than waffl e it can "walk" so needs taping. To close the joins I used carpet tape, sor ry, single sided and brown, so it was, on strip down the middle of the join and two overlapping either side for, umm, added strength.

Reply to
greyridersalso

Single-sided carpet tape...

HTH David

(to be serious, though - it's pretty standard stuff and really shouldn't be hard to find.)

Reply to
Lobster

No, you want to go back to the carpet shop and get single sided. I'm unclear why this appears to not be obvious.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not seen it ANYWHERE i have looked online. Either it's not called single sided carpet tape, and called something more generic "gaffer tape", or my Google/Ebay is broken...

Reply to
MarkG1234

You must be using a different Google to me then, it finds 1/4 million hits for

"single+sided"+"carpet+tape"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Last time I went to buy double sided carpet tape, the carpet shops I went to only had single sided. Must be some law of the universe or something.

NT

Reply to
meow2222