Taping and Jointing P/Board

The last time I put plasterboard up it was in my kitchen and I used tapered edge boards and used the sticky mesh tape with jointing cement and it finished up ok once the joints were smoothed down and the boards emulsioned . Would it be easier or more difficult using straight edge boards and should I use the tape again . It's for a ceiling .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I have used tapered edge boards and the sticky mesh fibreglass tape and I think it's the best way. The tape stops cracks appearing and holds the plaster on very well. I had a professional do much of the house first and I watched him. He used a wide blade (about 6 inches wide) to apply two coats of base compound first, leaving them a bit concave (the plaster shrinks), then the finishing compound that is very easy to sand. He did no sanding between coats but just shaved off any bumps with the blade. The final coat needed almost no sanding.

Use a hand held light to shine sideways across the joints while you are plastering, to see if they are flat enough. When you have finished painting and switch on the lights for the first time you will see how bad or good a job you have done.

Reply to
Nick

I've done both and would use tapered where ever possible. As the tape and the majority of the filler is within the taper, it is easier to get a better finish. And you also need a narrower strip of filler beyond the taper to get a "flat" finish. Always use tape or else it will crack within seconds of finishing the job. W

Reply to
NewsAccountEmail