Tap won't turn fully on

The (fairly standard looking) tap in question is for the hot water in the bathroom basin - must be about 20 years old. For a long time it's only delivered water at a moderate rate when fully on, but now it only comes out at a trickle, seem like when I turn it on it's not going all the way up so the flow is restricted.

Would a duff washer cause this?

All other taps in the house deliver the water just fine, ie it's not a general hot water flow problem, it's just this tap.

Thanks

Reply to
jamma-plusser

I have a tap exactly like this. In mine there's a fancy inner screwed plunger that keeps the washer from rotating, but the screw thread on this inner plunger gets beyond the thread it mates with, and jams when I try to unscrew the tap. At the moment I get round this by pulling the tap top up before and while unscrewing, allowing the inner screw to get back in its groove. I have not discovered a better solution or why it does this yet, but there's nothing wrong with the washer.

Dave W

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

If it is the same as taps in my house the problem is scale in the mechanism. Take the tap head out and dismantle, soak in descaler or vinegar. Dry parts and reassemble with grease - ideally silicone type such as MS4.

Bob Good for another few years at least.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If it is the same as taps in my house the problem is scale in the mechanism. Take the tap head out and dismantle into component parts, soak in descaler or vinegar. Dry parts and reassemble with grease - ideally silicone type such as MS4.

Bob Good for another few years at least.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Get a tap renovation kit, they are not expensive. New pair of H&C innards and a new handles makes the taps look like a new ones.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

plunger could come off the end of the thread as it is screwed down.

Reply to
John

You can buy the headgear in B&Q for a couple of quid.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wish! Depends on the make of tap. New innards for my bathroom sink and bath taps cost about £25-30 from memory. The problem was exactly as described though. For some reason the innards were unwiding themselves too far within the body of the tap when turning off then wouldn't fully retract when turning on.

Reply to
The Wanderer

This morning I dismantled my tap, filed the hexagonal plunger till bright, and greased it. Let's see how long it lasts.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W