tap washers without holes

I need to replace all four tap washers in my bathroom. Trivial job or should be, but the taps need 5/8 washers without a central hole. (The washers fit tightly into a circular brass recess at the bottom of the plunger.)

Has anyone any idea where to source these washers?

I have searched on Google and asked at plumbers' merchants without success. I can't use a ball valve washer because they are not thick enough.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Can't you stick two ball valve washers together, or would that make them too thick?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

"ball valve washer" eg

any good?

Reply to
Robin

It would make them too thick, though I'm not sure that would itself be a problem. I'd be worried though that the regular opening and closing of the tap would make them come apart.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

"Robin" wrote in news:n5tqqc$r39$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Makes one wonder what advantage it gave to the manufacturer to defy convention.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Ahem, I now see that the OP said that ballvalve washers are too thin.

The washer he needs must be pretty thick then judging by the Toolstation image and the thickness of ballvalve washers I've used. But nowhere near as thick as me for not reading his post properly :(

Reply to
Robin

To arthritics they're not!

Reply to
stvlcnc43

Is it one of these?

No sizes given but other sites suggest A and D for 1/2 inch and B for

3/4 inch

Google for Supatap jumper plus washer

Reply to
alan_m

They do not stay together very long, I suspect after all the squashing and flexing. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

As a matter of interest, are these French taps? I encountered one like that once and the guy told me they were all the rage in France. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Brian-Gaff posted

Not that I know of. They were supplied and fitted 25 years ago by an English plumber who is now inconveniently dead.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in news:n601kr$vmn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Alas - many washers have a short life due to habits of tightening the tap too hard. A good washer and seating should not need much force to prevent drips. Unfortunatley people start to over tighten them instead or replacing a washer and eventually the tap mechanism starts to wear.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Looks rather like it, but it isn't a Supatap, and the jumper doesn't appear to be removable. Also it's 5/8 which doesn't match any of the Supatap sizes. I might try it though. None of the plumbers merchants can supply the washer. They don't even supply Supatap spares any more.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

If you can source rubber of the correct thickness, why not make your own using a hollow hole punch - imperial sizes are available on ebay quite cheaply eg

Another possiblility is a cork borer as used in chemistry labs. If you have a school or college near you that has been teaching A level chemistry for at least 40 years, try contacting the lab technician as they may be able to lend you an imperial cork borer set.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

This has the advantage of bein impressively d-i-y.

Also, it is possible to take a larger washer and make it smaller. I have had little luck with cutting, as this makes a jagged edge. Had success taking a bit of sandpaper and rubbing aorund the edge of the washer until it fiots well.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer