Tap/Shower head lever worn.

Hi all,

The bath's got a combined tap/shower hose where a lever switches the flow between the tap and hose. Recently, it's been prone to `jumping' from the tap setting to the hose whilst water's flowing. I dismantled it yesterday and it seems that the lever just rotates a round disc with a pole sticking out of the bottom that's off-centre. The pole fits between two discs that are on their sides and connected to each other. As the disc are pushed forwards the flow to the tap is blocked by the front disc and allowed past the rear disc to the hose, and vice versa. I presume the water pressure helps keep whichever disc is blocking the flow in place.

The above's probably common-place but I wanted to get across what I'd found as I don't know the proper terms for it.

Anyway, the pole's only soft metal and has worn against the discs. I think this is because it needs a bit of a push to make the level stay at one extremity of the other. I've rotated it 180 degrees for the moment as the wear isn't symmetrical and that's helped a little; I'm hoping that it's now more prone to jumping to the tap when the hose is in use; not as messy.

But what I'd like to know is if this disc with a pole is a standard part that's obtainable on its own? This is a rented flat so I can't replace the whole tap. Telling the managing agents would just result in multiple appointments whilst plumbers come and report back to the agent as the landlord will fix nothing without prior costings. I'd much rather just put a new one in if that's possible.

TIA,

Jack.

Reply to
Jack Tailor