tap repair

Hello,

I have a peculiar problem with my kitchen tap. It's a fairly new mixer tap. The cold tap works perfectly. The hot tap does not.

The best way to describe it is to say that there is some resistance when you try to first turn the tap on. Once there is some flow, the tap moves freely for the rest of the movement. When closing the tap it is the same in reverse: free movement and the resistance near the end.

I have also noticed that sometimes, when the tap is closed, there is some lateral movement, i.e. you can move the tap from side to side slightly. Once the tap is open, the tap body is quite rigid. I don't know if that means anything or whether that is a red herring?

I have taken off the tap and checked the washer but that is in good condition and held securely.

I have heard of, but never done, reseating, but I thought that was to cure drips and the tap is not dripping. Any ideas what is the problem or if I have a problem at all?!

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Fred

Its easy enough to find out which is the problem. Remove tap head, remove the mechanism and operate it by hand while not installed. It should run freely. Check tap washer and check tap seat (what the washer preesses onto) for any lumps missing. Those are the 3 possible culprits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is the washer the right size? They have been known to get crushed to such an extent that the washer goes into the seat rather than onto the seat. Not sure how this fits your symptom though. Have you lubed the mechanism?

Reply to
John

Hello. Thanks for the fast replies. I shall have to dismantle it and take another look. What lube would you use? Can you oil a tap? I would have thought it best to keep oil and the like away from potable water but I suppose that the mechanism isn't in contact with the water so perhaps it would be alright? Or is their a special ptfe plumbing lube you were thinking of?

Reply to
Fred

I've used vaseline in the past for sticky taps, but TBH, if they are sticking, and it is not limescale causing the problem, then you may as well get some new ones. They are pretty cheap nowadays - I bought a really good kitchen mixer tap from Screwfix yesterday for £27.50 - I wasnt expecting much, but it was all metal construction, and seems really good value. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

My taps have the screw mechanism behind an "O" Ring so that the grease I use doesn't come into contact with the water. I believe many that have a non-rising handle are like this. The mechanism always retains it's grease and doesn't get wet. Mine are "Pegler". The mechanism is held in by a flat clip on the splined shaft. (20years old)

Reply to
John