Tap ceramic cartridge sizes

I need to replace the ceramic cartridge for a sink tap, but I'm having problems finding the right size replacement.

I've tried taking the cartridge to a local plumbers merchant. They told me there weren't any standard sizes, and it was best to buy a new tap. They would, wouldn't they.

I've had a look online, and there do indeed seem to be a huge range of different sizes, some with only a millimeter different between them.

For example, look at this table for cartridges with 20 splines and 3/4 BSP thread, which is what mine looks like:

There's more than twenty types, and some of the dimentions are so close as to be indistingushable using a ruler. What's worse, none of them actually correspond with what I've got - my cartridge has a maximum diameter of 28mm, not 30mm.

Does anyone have any pointers, or is it really this difficult? Do people generally just replace the taps nowadays?

It was so much easier just replacing a tap washer on the old-style taps!

Reply to
Caecilius

There aren't any standard sizes IME. We have a independent local plumbers merchant who stocks a huge range of these, the other three independents don't. You have to take the old cartridge & tap head in. They have never failed me :-)

These people have a huge range

Ain't that the truth!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I love the 1/4 turn mechanism.

But whenever ) have tried to see how hard it would be to change a cartridge, I came to the conclusion it would be easier to change the whole tap! I have never managed to undo a cartridge... They seem to be welded in - or done up by Geoff Capes.

At this point, someone will say "left handed thread" (I honestly do not know...)

Reply to
Tim Watts

My plumber told me the sizes were standard, then was quite perplexed when his replacement wouldn't fit.

He is German, though. Perhaps they have standard sizes in Germany.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Who is it? I'm in Rochester, so they're probably local to me as well.

Reply to
Caecilius

And that makes it all the more annoying. I struggled with that b******d for a while to get it undone, only to be told by the plumbers merchant "just buy a new tap".

Normal thread on mine. But felt like it'd been done up by a tyre fitter with a rattle gun.

Reply to
Caecilius

Temperate Heating, top of Chatham Hill. Big grey building, used to be a pub.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nope, normal anti clockwise to undo.

Never found one that was noticeably tighter than a normal tap head gear.

Man up :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

By that, you mean put a scaffold pole over the tap end :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good reason to continue buying them then!

Reply to
harryagain

Thanks. I'll give them a try.

Reply to
Caecilius

SWMBO chooses the taps, and they're not chosen based on how easy they'll be to service.

Reply to
Caecilius

Large box spanner actually :-)

And one of these;

An absolute Godsend.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Use a ring spanner on the hex part and hit the other end with a rubber mallet while someone else braces the tap body.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sounds like a good tip - thanks Roger...

Reply to
Tim Watts

How do you use both at the same time? Does the box spanner have a hex at the other end to which you attach the Stanley spanner for lots of leverage?

I agree about the Stanley spanners being good though. I asked Father Christmas to bring me one a few years ago after seeing an earlier recommendation from you.

Lots of leverage isn't always what you need though - sometimes that just rotates the tap body. I often find a percussive approach more successful.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Tell me about it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Might have to pop up and try them for ours.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The box spanner slips over the tap spout (with cloth) to stop it moving, the Stanley one goes on the tap head gear.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah, I see. So any suitable piece of metal tube would do then, without needing to be a box spanner?

Reply to
Roger Mills