Tap and Die set

I got this metric tap and die set:

'Laser 4554 Metric Tap & Die Set 110pc: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike'

I have not yet used it, but I don't feel that the quality is that good.

Can someone point me to a good metric set and same for a BSW set

Also, is it better with or without split dies?

HSS or tungsten or carbon steel?

I will only be using it occasionally

Thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

Regarding split dies, when I was a lad learning my fitting trade, split dies were most commonly used, but sometimes the nut type dies were also used. They both have their different uses in different situations

Use split dies if you want to cut a thread, and use unsplit ones if you want to clean a used thread up.

Reply to
Bob H